1986 Plymouth Reliant

1986 Plymouth Reliant

Postby Carla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 am

Hello, K car people,

Owing to a recent tragic circumstance, I'm putting our 'pet' K car up for sale.

I don't know whether you might be interested in the history of one of the many K cars, but, if you are.....

My late partner, Patricia Gibbons, went to work for the City of San Jose as a communications tech in 1986, when the City set up its own public-safety communications system.The City dispatch had, until that time, been part of the County comms system.

Patricia was issued a brand new 'fleet car' as her 'company car'. It was one of a number of new Plymouth sedans purchased for various City departments at that time. Over the years, Patricia received several promotions, and, at the time of her retirement, had been the manager in charge of City public safety communications for nearly a decade.

She had her 'company car' very carefully maintained by the vehicle shop, and, at the time she was told that it had become over-age for City service, it had accumulated only 31K miles. When the City offered it up for auction, we bought it, so she could keep her 'pet' work car as our privately owned vehicle. She had developed a bit of sentimental attachment to it, over the years, you see. Aside from a very few miles use by her assistant on City business, and a few miles I ran it, she was the only person who ever drove that car.

After her retirement four years ago, it was her everyday use car, and had accumulated just over 60K miles. Last summer, it had a distributor malfunction. We made the decision to send the car to a reliable, highly experienced local mechanic for a 'complete mechanical restoration', as the car was over 20 years old, and doubtless had other components which could be developing wear or degradation. The idea was to have the car in 'as new' serviceable condition, for many years of use.

The mechanic, Gene Thorburn of San Jose, a very experienced, capable and reliable mechanic, recommended, and did, a great long list of component replacements, etc., for all systems to be 'as new'. This, per agreement, was to be done on a 'spare time' or 'fill in' basis, allowing time for every little detail to be done completely and correctly. This work is now done, within a few very minor details of completion. It took him a bit of effort to find 'genuine' new-old-stock' parts, by the way......no 'brand x' parts for this car.

Aside from that work, this car has been carefully kept in 'nearly as new' condition, with the paint still good, never in a wreck, and never having had the least bit of rust anywhere. Its a white four-door sedan, with automatic transmission and air conditioning.

Patricia had a fancy upgrade stereo radio/sound system put in, which fit the original radio area of the dash without modifications, and used the factory stereo speaker wiring, but with some sort of upgrade speakers, again with no modifications to the car itself. The only modifications ever done to the car were some drilled holes in the after-body for comms radio antennas, which can easily be blanked-off.

Patricia passed away two weeks ago, from a heart pacemaker malfunction, at the age of only 62.

I can't bear to keep her car, for my own personal reasons. There are just too many memories connected with it, for me. (and, I feel about my Land Rovers as she did about her K car, so I'd not use it anyway, and it would just sit in storage)

I would like to sell it to someone who could appreciate a K car in this condition, use it carefully, and preserve it.

Now, moderators, I realise that I should have put this in the 'for sale' column......but if you can do me an especial favour and allow it to remain here awhile, I'd gratefully appreciate......this is not an ordinary 'car for sale' advert.....its a piece of someone's life, in a way.

I owe Gene, the mechanic, approx $3400 for the extensive work done on the car. Past that, I don't know what value it has, and will listen to any offers from someone who might have an interest in such a car. Aside from maybe needing a trip to the detail shop for polishing after sitting in the mechanic's shop for all these months, it should be much like going back in time to get a 'one year old',or so, used '86 Plymouth.

I will only sell this car to someone who will use it carefully, and preserve it.......'hot-rodders' and others who cut up cars for 'trick' whatevers 'need not apply'.

My contact info is, e-mail:

carla.satra@earthlink.net

The phone no. here is 408 923 0843 (afternoons/eves, PDT time)

The location is about 50-ish mi. SE of San Francisco, in the foothills just east of San Jose CA

Carla
Carla

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant

Re: 1986 Plymouth Reliant

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 am

I am sorry for your loss!

You may want to take a few pics to post on-line of your classic.

Possibly there is a local classic car magazine that list classic cars for sale in the area where you live.
Take a couple of pics of car, list what it is, mileage, and what work has been done as you have here, and the asking price.

I listed my Toranado here locally, it was called "The Trader", I drove the car to their local office here in Nashville, they came out and took 2 pics of my car, listed all the bells and whistles, and the asking price. I handed them 20 dollars. It sold in 1 week.

Just throwing out some ideas.... :mrgreen:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Return to General Car Discussions