why do you drive a K car?

why do you drive a K car?

Postby turbokcar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:54 pm

I was just think, When I went to Bob's for the car show we had a hand full of K cars, all different, some have wagons, and some have coups, some have 4 doors, and some have convertables, the owners are all different ages, and all of us are at different stages of our lives. Some have the car as there means of transportation. The question is, why do you drive a K car?
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Re: why do you drive a K car?

Postby dodgeariesguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Why do I drive a K-Car you ask? Well at first it was as a first car but since I've owned one and joined this club its grown on me. So much that when offered a trade for a Mercedes-Benz I turned him down. This $400 car from some low end dealer/mechanic has become a friend of mine and I feel a sense of the 80's (wasnt alive then) that I cant feel anywhere else its a love that I want to keep for my life. After hearing the classic cars my Dad had and got rid of cause back then they were worthless (e.g. 73 Dodge Challenger). My choice is to keep my car and see what happens!
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby RichG » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Well, in my neck of the woods, it's relatively unique. There are few about. Secondly, I had always liked the styling of the first generation LeBarons, notwithstanding the iconic Ricardo Montaban waxing poetic about "power and sophistication". It's fun to drive, it's a ragtop. Thirdly, I've always had a penchant for the low mileage older cars you can actually work on; get under the hood and repair and replace things without having a degree in advanced physics to remove an air cleaner. (the car I had before this was a 1991 Ford Tempo, powder blue, that I found in 2003 with 23,000 original miles). It's my mid-life crisis car, a certified chick magnet (o.k., I made that up). Lastly, I literally paid nothing for it (as in $0.00), so even with the amount of time, energy, money and parts I've invested it still hasn't cost me $4000 over the last 36 months. What's not to love?
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby kcarsteve » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 am

:lol: I love my Kcar, we just went on our vacation in ours to the cape. It was almost a 1300 mile round trip. I got 24 miles to a gallon with a packed trunk and two bikes on the back with a 2 inch hitch I made myself. It drove great this is the fourth vacation we have went on with it . The longest one was from rochester NY to Bar Harbor Maine 12 hours one way. We always recieve many complements on our car. I picked up my Lebaron 7 years ago for 400 dollars.
kcarsteve

Car Information: 1986 lebaron convertable with 2.2 turbo

Postby 88 aries » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 pm

well the reason why i drive a k-car is because i grew up with them, and im only 17, lots of people my age like muscle cars ( i like them too) but i just have a soft spot for the little guys, i treat mine like they are someone, i never drive them in the winter, plus i get good complements from people who have had one before.
88 aries

Postby turbokcar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks to everyone that gave there story.
My story goes, A good friend of mine offered me a free Triumph Spitfire, I was talking to my Dad about it and he asked "how can your 2 kids go anywhere with you"? He suggested that I get a K car convertable. So I sold my 66 Chevy Carryall, and an old motorcycle, and picked up a 86 Lebaron convertable Mark Cross addition, for $1900. That was 10 years ago, since then I have almost completely rebuilt this car, I increased the engine performance, and changed the suspension, but the car looks stock. Most of the time I enjoy working on it.
My wife and daughter HATE my car, and if I suggest we take it somewhere there is a good size disagreement. I found out that K cars are not cool to drive to high school or the mall, and most definitely not the Beverly Hills shopping area, so most of the time when I go somewhere I go alone or with my son. Maybe my car dose have some good reasons to own it. LOL
If you have time to read this, you have time to tell us about your K car.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby kcarsteve » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:37 am

Mabey you should move to the east coast I have it sounds like the same car as yours and i have many teens giving the thumbs up.
kcarsteve

Car Information: 1986 lebaron convertable with 2.2 turbo

Postby Silverbeard » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:39 am

Yeah I know it's embarassing driving around in a 26 year old car, too bad we can't afford to drive something newer eh!

I love mine partly because it was my Dad's last toy (sure wish I had the other 5 convertibles he traded in over the years) and have been driving it with TLC for 21 years now. It draws attention and I enjoy educating people about the significance of being the first American made convertible in 6 years.
My 27 year old son was visiting this week and we were going to the local 'show & shine ' so I asked him which car he wanted to drive , my 2002 T Bird or the Lebaron, he chose the LeBaron :lol:

That's about it for now, except for "It's mine and I'm keeping it" until I pass it on to one of my sons when I pass on and I don't plan on doing that any time soon.

martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby RichG » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am

Just as an aside, I have found, too, that my wife and older daughter "hate" my car. My wife won't ride in it with the top down (it's a "hair and glare"" thing), and It's way too uncool for my 19 yr old daughter. My son, on the other hand, thinks it's great (he's 16) and loves to drive with the top down. My little one (11) is ambivalent.
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby 84Aries » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Well here is my reason.
Growing up my father had a 1984 Plymouth Reliant 4dr 2.2 2bl, Gold with Tan and brown interior. In the fall of 2006 I had a 92 Chev Silverado EXTcab 2wd with a 305, had it for about 3 years but a deer ran infront of me on highway 115 at 2:30 in the morning coming home from my girlfriends, long story short hit deer @ 65mph=deer write off the truck= borrow my fathers old conversion van for the winter and then I was searching for a new ride in the spring, I came across a 1984 Dodge Aries 4dr 2.2 2bl With the same gold outside 2-toned with dark brown and the exact same interior and options. I went 3 hours to Kingston and bought the car the next day. It only had 42,000kms on it (approx 35,000 miles) 1 old lady owner.(I paid $1000. Canadian for it but it is MINT Condition. Driving the car home that day brought back so many memories of growing up and riding in the front of my dads old Reliant. I drive it to work everyday and to my girlfriends sometimes and to a few cruise nights when I can. It's very cheap on insurance and gas, and economical for me as I am working full-time/College student. Even though I have racked up 2 speeding tickets in it doing 98mph in a 60, yes that right 98mph (wanted to see how fast it would go, the 1 time I do that I get nailed maxed out at 98, the cop couldnt believe it. It was SO worth it to see the stunned/unbelievable look on his face when he walked up, I ended up popping the hood for him cause he didnt believe it was a 2.2 under the hood), and 75 in a 60. So it has more guts than others give credit. I love the car, I love driving the car, and when I buy a new car after college I will definately be holding onto this 84 Aries, I plan on restoring it fully and properly and then it can sit in the garage beside my AMC matador and go to the local cruise nights and shows :D .
84Aries
Car Fan

Car Information: finding another one

Next

Return to General Car Discussions