Waterspots are all over my car. What to do.

Waterspots are all over my car. What to do.

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:41 am

Well, I only went to the "handwash" carwash about 3-4 times over 3-4 months. Now, my paint is noticeably covered in faint water spots all over where the car air-dryed. Now, I am reading that waterspots are permanent and start to destroy the paint. Very annoying. I had no idea that going to a car wash is an almost a definite guarantee of water spots. How can I get rid of them without ruining my already damaged paint? If I can't, how can I prevent any further damage and how should I wash my car in the future?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Waterspots are all over my car. What to do.

Postby Silverbeard » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:07 pm

'Windex' or glass cleaner will remover the white spots left by the calcium deposits in 'hard water' that is left to dry in the sun, doubt that it has runined the finish unless it was very thin. If you have a wash like that, have some towels handy and towel dry asap in the shade if possible . before the rinse water dries. Give the car a wax job should remove spots as well,
Give this a try and let us know what happens.

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby TomChrysler » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:33 am

Hi there!

Water and white vinegar mixed will do the trick. If it is really bad, you can use the new version of 3M rubbing compound which is made for clear coat paints. Also, here is a helpful link:

http://www.automedia.com/How_to_Elimina ... 020801hw/1

Giving you my best,

Tom
TomChrysler
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Town and Country

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:24 am

Well, the car was waxed with the waterspots on it three weeks ago. The waterspots are now under the wax. They don't seem that noticeable, except to me. It is a whitish residue. Also, it seems to be uniformly large in some areas and all over the car from front to back. I did notice them rapidly collect on the car after I went to the carwash. Not knowing any better, I just assumed they would wear off, but they accumulated substantially after 3 or 4 washes over 6 months. All washes were done at a professional place in the midday sun. I am told that I can leave them and that they shouldn't get any worse now that I have the car waxed. Will the wax protect the car from anymore waterspots? I would like to get them off. The other thing I have are dull spots on my hood on the clearcoat thanks to stupid squirrels urinating on my car from treetops. I washed it off as soon as I could, but the damage was done. So, I now basically have a nice paintjob that looks spotty in the right light. I now never park on Etiwanda Ave if I can help it. I would like to restore the paint for cheap if I can.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Waterspots are all over your car? Here's what to do!

Postby TomChrysler » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Guy!

Wax won't remove water stains. I've used 3M Rubbing Compound (clear coat version) to remove water stains from my Dad's black truck. It also removed scratches from my Stepmom's new car. I was impressed by the results. The only caution is, do NOT use a buffer as the rubbing compound heats up quickly. When you use it by hand, it is very gentle, and will make the finish on your Aries POP!

So, when we have lunch, I want to hear about how successful you are at removing water stains. :lol:

Giving you my best,

Tom

P.S. Don't bother with Turtle Wax, unless you need to work on your arm muscles for a year.
TomChrysler
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Town and Country

Postby Silverbeard » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Another product to try is called "Clay Bar". Great for clear coat finishes, make sure you read the instructons.

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby 88 aries » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:30 am

buffing compound by hand works well, some times i use wizzards to remove water spots
88 aries

Postby marty21711 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 am

Ok, couple of questions for you. What color is your k-car? Darker colors will show more flaws. The water in your area, is it hard or soft? Hard water will leave mineral deposits and be difficult to remove. Another issue is acid rain, which will leave similar marks on the paint. In the mid eighties, lead was removed from automotive paint. Lead in paint gave it elasticity and durability. It took about 10 years for the industry to come up with a durable replacement for lead. If a cleaner/wax does not remove or smooth them out, you will have to go to a heavier rubbing compound. Remember cleaners, polishes and rubbing compounds are like sandpaper. The courser the product the more paint you will remove and the duller the paint will get, then you have to progressively use lighter compounds to get the shine back.
Marty
marty21711

Car Information: 1985 chrysler new yorker, 1986 dodge aires

Return to General Car Discussions