Tell me a little about car shows, please...

Tell me a little about car shows, please...

Postby ReliantLV » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Having shown my 4-legged princess to 7 championships and several In-group and In-show awards including a Best in Specialty Show, I realize I have only a vague idea of what goes on at car shows.

What exactly is the purpose? (with dogs or other animals - one of the big things is selection for further breeding, obviously that doesn't happen with cars)
Are there different "systems", do you have to belong to a certain club? (with dogs you do)
How often do these shows happen?
Are there certain classes you can enter? On what criteria is the judging actually done? (I have no idea - like, "best condition" or something?)
Approximately what are the fees, and what are the prizes like?

Have you participated, and what was it like?

In Latvia I haven't heard of any real "car shows" - we seem to have either big exhibitions like "Auto Exotica" etc (maybe something is judged there? I would never know), club gatherings (everyone meets up and there's a parade in town and then a party), or performance events (drag race, drift etc.)
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Re: Tell me a little about car shows, please...

Postby 88 aries » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

well, the shows that i go to are mostly mopar shows, because they have a FWD class, and it gives you the chance to compete against other fine k-car engineered cars, the non mopar shows usually go from 1979-today, my Aries has 3 trophies so far, as for my Reliant it has not receved any yet, because it has just been freshly restored, i plan on this summer to get some whitewalls and the Chrysler E class hubcaps(govenment issued) right now i have a set of hubcaps from a 1986 dodge aries.

In genral its a lot of fun, some people dont even know what kind of car mine is when i show it at those non mopar shows.
88 aries

Re: Tell me a little about car shows, please...

Postby 1of10K » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Car shows here vary, but around the USA midwest, just about anyone who has an interesting or old car, usually fixed up or restored, can show up and park with other similar cars. Most shows have classes where similar year or type cars are parked together. Judging is usually a people's choice type, where anyone who enters a car has a ballot for all the different classes and can mark their favorite. Winners are usually drawn 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each class, usually winners get a trophy or plaque. The big shows here draw several thousand show cars, most local shows get much smaller turnout. It is alot more fun if you are part of a car club, where members can get together and drive in all at the same time. (Wish the midwest had a K group!) Most shows have food and drink for sale, the best ones also have swap meets where you can shop for used and new parts. I have been going to car shows since the late 1970s, mostly with antique and street rod type cars, the older shows usually had a bunch of activities; games, races, contests, etc. for everyone to enjoy. Unfortunately now most shows seem to be "get out the lawn chair and sit" types of events.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Return to General Car Discussions