Hood ornaments anyone??

Hood ornaments anyone??

Postby 1of10K » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:29 pm

Was wondering about my '81 R with the standup Plymouth symbol hood ornament, not the pentastar. Anyone know when Chrysler switched all the Ks to the pentastar? My car is a special order base sedan that the brochure said shouldn't exist (only a 2 dr base is shown). It was built 3-24-81, was a special order from the factory. I have the original special order paperwork, but just wondering about the stock ornament. My other Reliant that I bought new in '81, a Custom 4-dr, had the regular pentastar. Also had an early Aries with the Dodge "button" flat ornament , instead of the standup pentastar, anyone have any comments on those??
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Re: Hood ornaments anyone??

Postby ReliantLV » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:52 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what does it look like? The Plymouth ornament? Pics?
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby 88 aries » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:24 am

so im not the only one with a special ordered K-car, i have a 1986 Plymouth reliant that is a base model, but it has bucket seats and aircondtioning and chrysler E class hubcaps, at first i thought that someone added the buckets, but when i was told that it was a govenment car, i looked into it, and what to you know it was ordered special.
88 aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:28 pm

1of10K wrote:Was wondering about my '81 R with the standup Plymouth symbol hood ornament, not the pentastar. Anyone know when Chrysler switched all the Ks to the pentastar? My car is a special order base sedan that the brochure said shouldn't exist (only a 2 dr base is shown). It was built 3-24-81, was a special order from the factory. I have the original special order paperwork, but just wondering about the stock ornament. My other Reliant that I bought new in '81, a Custom 4-dr, had the regular pentastar. Also had an early Aries with the Dodge "button" flat ornament , instead of the standup pentastar, anyone have any comments on those??

I saw an 81' with that same thing at a car show in the summer and I asked the owner who was sitting behind it and he said when he bought it new the day it arrived he hated the Pentastar (don't know why) so he had the parts guy dig up a plymouth one from the 70's and had the service department install it.
P.S. I did ask if he wanted to join the club but he was 68 and didn't have a computer.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 1of10K » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:45 pm

Iactually liked better the regular pentastar ornament with the clear center on my then new '81. Thought about updating my R, but decided to leave it stock, as this Plymouth ornament (Chrome pentastar with what looks like 2 chrome boomerangs next to each other in the center) was the one shown in the '81 brochure. My main worry now is that someone will swipe this irreplaceable part from my hood, I may get a common pentastar just to be able to put the original away somewhere for only shows.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby ReliantLV » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:05 am

Wow, you live and you learn! (how many times have I said 'wow' on this forum already? LOL)

I had not paid attention before, but now I will, at least in pics.... Interesting! Mine is definitely a regular pentastar.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby 84Aries » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:17 am

My 84 Aries was a special order 2-tone pearl mink brown and metallic gold paint. Has the regular pentistar. those bommerang plymouth ornaments are cool though!!
84Aries
Car Fan

Car Information: finding another one

Return to General Car Discussions