In review, 1989 Chrysler New Yorker

In review, 1989 Chrysler New Yorker

Postby TexanIdiot25 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Not to propetuate the stereotyping of these K-Car new yorkers, but this little thing has been haulin' kids and groceries with a (now) 90 year old Great Grandmother for 20 years. Still in fine condition. Last october was her 90th Birthday, and I had the old mini-tank in my possession for the weekend to refresh it some. Didn't have time to take any excellent pictures of it, but maybe on down the road.

I don't care much for K-Cars, but this New Yorker has been in my family my whole life.

=============================================================================

It's slow. It's a grandmother's car. It has a pocket for holding tissues. The paint is perfect. It's low miles. It's the 1989 Chrysler New Yorker, Landau Edition.

In 1989, this was the finest the then dying Chrysler, could offer. It was based on the company saving Chrysler K-Car platform, and shared many parts with many Mitsubishis (3.0 SOHC V6). But the style, the comfort, the presence was all American.

Though small in proportions, it is big in presence. The bold up right chrome grille, hidden headlights, and bricked out Landau roof line all make it stand out in today's aerodynamic soap bars. While many of the other 80's land barges shared this style, not as many pulled it off as simply and cleanly as the little New Yorker did with simple styling and small hints of chrome along the car. Vynal landau roofs were just pimp in the 80s, though I'm think vynal should stay on the seats... Those wonderful, wonderful seats.

Power for the car is from a small, but rather peppy 3.0L Single Over Head Cam Mitsubishi V6, an engine that is still used (though vastly updated) in the late model Eclipses. For the car's hefty weight, the 3.0L pulls suprisingly well through out the full RPM range, feeling even faster than my Firebird, or maybe that's because driving a brick that bounces feels fast over every thing.

Slip in the key, turn it over, and the silent V6 settles down to a little hum, and the full digital guages greet you with a fancy full-sweep test. Slid the heavy column shifter down, and roll out.

Handling? You truly don't drive this car, you give it a suggestion of where to go, and you just hope it goes there too.

Throttle is weightless, steering is non resistant, brakes are numb. You aim that proud Pentastar ahead and hope for the best in a hard corner. But, it's stupid fun, I mean really stupid fun. The car flops and leans and bounces over everything, while any bump in the road is absorbed easily. Even once you have stopped, you can watch out the hood line and see the nose of the car bounce up and down a few times more. Speed bumps are non existant, car simply wears off the impact in a few slow sways of the suspension. It's awesome. Going from the "I feel the painted stripes in the road" to "Hell, I don't even feel the child I just ran over" is a grand. The car doesn't like to be pushed fast, but compliments you greatly for cruising along.

The 80s was a helluva time for techonology, as evident by the Cell Phone, the Home PC, the Atari, and even the Compact Disk. And just about any modern computer feature you now think is standard now days, even for a KIA, was ground breaking back in 1989.

Power seats (with 2 driver memory)
Power mirrors
Power locks
Remote entry and trunk
Self Adjusting AC/Heater
Self Leveling ride
An information screen that tells you what bulb is burned out, what temp it is outside, what direction your going, what your average and instant MPG, tire pressure monitoring, engine management, and oil life meter.
Full digital dash
-and many more

There is a wealth of digital toys that we are just now making standard in cars today, that the New Yorker showed off in the 80s.

And the magic. The best reason one should ever own a 1980s land barge. God damn laz-y-boy bench seats. You slide in, slump down, and the deep vynal swallows your body in pure comfort. Seats won't hold you in a corner (trust me), by my god are they heaven to sit in. They invite you to sit down, and just cruise. Back seat leg room is enormous, and I remember sitting 4 kids wide in the back of that thing while still being absolutely comfortable. The Infinity sound system still is crisp and clear, and a nice touch to Limo-status: The rear passenger have a private head phone jack on the rear package deck, providing them with their own music.

It's slow, it's bouncy, it's smooth, it's luxury, and it was driven for 20 years to the beauty shop and grocery store by an old lady.

It's a 1989 Chysler New Yorker. And it's a helluva lotta awesome.

=======================================================================================
Figured K-Car guys might like the story. The New Yorker ain't no Cadillac, but for it's size and price, it didn't need to be.
TexanIdiot25

Car Information: 1969 CST/10, writing for an 89 New Yorker

Re: In review, 1989 Chrysler New Yorker

Postby Baron » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:39 am

Great story, beautiful car. But I do have to say- if a car (even a land barge) continues to bounce after coming to a full stop it usually means it needs shocks. I had the sister car- a Dodge Dynasty, and yeah, handling wasn't the greatest, but it didn't just bounce and sway over everything either. After 20 years, you may be surprised how improved the car will be with some new shocks. I would say its at least worth checking out.

Come to think of it, I also had an 83 E-Class- the predecessor to that New Yorker- and I had to replace the shocks on it at about 30,000 miles because they had started leaking.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby 88 aries » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 am

Nice newyorker, looks great, even though im not a fan of the dynasty style newyorkers i must say it looks nice
88 aries

Postby rev84600 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 am

mine was an 87 smaller and more like my 600
a beauty to drive with the 2.2 turbo great review
on your 89 another great car
rev84600

Car Information: 1984 dodge 600 convertable

Return to General Car Discussions