L.A. Area j-yards

L.A. Area j-yards

Postby Butch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:05 am

Every 2-3 weeks I hit 3 yards around here, I found 18 K cars today. 1 was a 5spd 86 Reliant wagon. This is the 1st stick shift K car I ever saw. Before I met guy I never even looked at the K cars, I found no perf. cars or parts which is my main purpose for hitting the yards. Sad thing is all 18 cars will have 1-2 weeks left to exist. :(
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Re: L.A. Area j-yards

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:45 am

Oh my gosh! Nooo. 18 K-cars, that is a rapid destruction rate. When will these wasteful people stop and think. Wait a minute, how can 18 K-cars be destroyed every 2-3 weeks in the LA area? That would make 468 K-cars destroyed in a year. I rather doubt there are even that many left. Scary thought. Uuugh. Butch, we are going to start a lobbying campaign to try to persuade these crushers of the American Antique to hold these cars at least for a year and collect parts. Any ideas anyone?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby ReliantLV » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:48 am

:(

The only idea (crazy, I know) is to buy or rent a big warehouse (?) (like this: http://www.sportmontage.ru/angar/angar-1.jpg ) and buy some of those cars off the junk yard, store the parts in there so that whoever needs anything in the future might buy it from there.

I'm no car expert but it seems to me that every car needs an owner and needs to be driven. There is perhaps no point in mass-saving cars that most people want to get rid of, as there won't be anyone to take them out for rides (except the handful of fans!).

Pls don't get me wrong, I am ALL for saving whatever history can be preserved, and if I was living in the USA or Canada I'm sure I'd have a clean, warm, ventilated garage for a couple of these beauties at least (coupes or station wagons!). But sadly to save them all or most, more people would be needed that would appreciate them...

But, reading these posts, I have put some ads in our local media, MAYBE some of the people that had these cars here still about 10-15 years ago, will call me. I am in particular really hoping to locate the gold/bronze coloured Aries coupe that I used to see regularly many years ago (WHY didn't I get the person's phone number then??!). I don't know where I'd get the money to buy it and what I'd do with it, but I do hope to find it some day.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby 88 aries » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 am

ya that would be a good idea buy a big wherehouse and save all the K-cars we can.
88 aries

Postby 1of10K » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Wish that junk yard was closer, I am looking for a steering column with delay wipers & cruise for an '81. Good news, with the price for scrap metal falling, these cars may have some time to live before they are gone forever...
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby Butch » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 am

Even with scrap metal prices down the cars don't last long here because some of these yards bring in 1-2 HUNDRED cars a day. The bottom line is to beat the yard buyers to the cars. Many of them come from impound yards that have weekly auctions. Others are donated to charites who end up scraping them.Then some are scraped because they don't sell on the classified sections.
Butch
Car Fan

Postby ReliantLV » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Just a little update - I was AMAZED today that someone actually called, having read my ad, and said that years ago he had a couple of K-cars (Reliant/Aries, as well as other US cars) that he "cut up" but some of the parts are still available. I mentioned this to my boss and he said the guy might just be the only seller of K-cars and I would be his only buyer. :mrgreen: I will find out what exactly he has left, and perhaps buy whatever he has (?).

I too wish those L.A. junk yards were a little closer! :)
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby capev86 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:15 am

if you do anything....save that wagon.....pretty rare to find a plain k car (aries or reliant) with bucket seat/console setup. better yet when it is already a 5spd car (not a stupid auto on the floor - i hate that), a low rust cali car and a wagon to boot! i had one briefly years ago (a reliant) but it had lots of issues including tons of rust (price of maine winters....they use salt like the end of the world is coming) so my dad donated it. that wagon is good for upgrading with a later transmission and shifter, turbo engines, better suspension and brakes, etc.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby Butch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Yea it would be nice to have saved that Wagon if only I could. Around here once the yard gets it, it's history. I did get the clutch cable self adjust assy. off of it for a spare for my Laser. So aleast a part of it will still live.
Butch
Car Fan

Return to General Car Discussions