Please recommend a car-related movie...

Please recommend a car-related movie...

Postby ReliantLV » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:36 pm

I'd appreciate suggestions for something to watch tonight - a nice movie about or around cars, car shows etc? Something aesthetically pleasing and hopefully with not too much violence (I hate to see them crashed!).
I am downloading "Used Cars" (1980) now in hopes to see something interesting there, but I'd appreciate more suggestions.
Before you ask, nope I don't have any Discovery channels etc., or a TV set at all for that matter :mrgreen: (by choice!), and I don't know how to get those channels to go into my computer. (and not sure I want to, I don't have that much time) So I only know the torrent stuff and how to get old movies to my computer.

Thanks!
Irena
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Re: Please recommend a car-related movie...

Postby dodgeariesguy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Well the show I watch alot of and am downloading the series 5 torrent right now is Top Gear it may feature fancy and new cars but it is a really great show and its quite alot of fun to watch on weekends. I can also recommend these films, Gone in 60 Seconds (Both original, and remake), Both The Italian Jobs, If you like old American Muscle take a look at American Graffiti, Vanishing Point from 1971 is my favourite ever car movie, well thats all I can really think of mainly because of seen these movies and show dozens of times. Please if you pick and watch one or more give your opinion back! Enjoy!

Will Hall
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 1of10K » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 am

I have some. The original "Smokey and the Bandit" was really a fun fast paced comedy movie. The Fast and the Furious movies are really wild, especially the recent "Fast and the Furious-Tokyo Drift" version. The movie "Grease" had some neat cars and a great race scene between a custom 48ish Ford and a chopped Mercury. The classic American Grafitti was always one of my favorites, I seen it when it first came out and was really a awsome movie at it's time. Ron Howard went on to star in the TV show Happy Days, a spinoff from the movie (great old cars in it too!).
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby 88 aries » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:09 am

American Graffi, great movie with old chevys hot rods and racing
88 aries

Postby ReliantLV » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Thank you very much!

I'm downloading Vanishing Point now, and after that it'll be American Graffiti! Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking forward to watching them. (the other movies mentioned as well)
And I always wondered what those two cars were in Grease! 'Greased Lightning' and the Scorpions' car that made those stylish/funny explosions! Interesting indeed.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Postby turbokcar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Watch "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". It's a good movie, and it has a K car in it. In my opinion never watch Top Gear, it's junk TV, They have no idea what there talking about, and they fake a lot of demonstrations. Like when they had a Toyota truck, they said you can't destroy it, what ever, the frame rusts and breaks in half, they left that out. Watch Spongebobsquarepants, its more accurate than Top Gear.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby dodgeariesguy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 pm

I'd say watch Top Gear because its one of the most entertaining car shows around but its everyones opinion what to watch but at least give it a look.

Will
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby ReliantLV » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:24 am

Well, I downloaded and watched "Used Cars" (1980) last night. There are certainly lots of used cars in that movie, LOL, and because it's the very end of the pre-K-car era, I think it helped me understand why the K-car was such a welcome newcomer to the market. Those 1970-ish monsters were all HUGE!! Very beautiful but there's no way I could afford filling up something like that today. Plot-wise IMO it's a boring, silly and uninteresting movie, kind of surprising for being directed by R. Zemeckis...
OK, that was my non-expert opinion on "Used Cars". :)
I'm sure that the movies you all have recommended will be much better! I'm looking forward to "Vanishing Point" now, once I get some work done.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Postby Scott in Buffalo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:20 pm

"Christine" is one of my favorite car movies.....if you can stomach the destruction of about a dozen 1958 Plymouth Furys.

Another great movie full of classic old Mopars is "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".
Scott in Buffalo
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron Mark Cross Convertible

Postby 88 aries » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:11 am

they were not furys, most of them were savoys or belvedere's, Just for a joke i think it would be funny to dress up a K-car in christines colors and drop a turbo under the hood.
88 aries

Next

Return to General Car Discussions