Open Air Cleaner Pick Up Extra Power

Open Air Cleaner Pick Up Extra Power

Postby 83dartk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:16 pm

On the Chrysler 2.2 & 2.5L car T.B.I Air Cleaner Assembly from 1986 to 1989 can be modifided to make an open element air fliter. Find another used air cleaner from a donner car or swap meet or junkyard.....etc . First step is to take apart the air cleaner down to it's basic parts ( lid, base, filter) Take the base first and your air filter and a silver Sharpie marker ( because it shows up best against the black paint) place the air filter upon the base of the air cleaner base where the filter normally would sit, now trace with your shrapie the outline of the air filter on to the base, make sure to leave about 1/8" extra larger then the filter it's self. Step 2 do the same to the underside of the lid of the air cleaner, make sure to leave the 1/8 of an inch extra. Step 3 cut out the pieces using a cut off wheel works best or any means at your disposal to do the job.
Step 4 THERE IS NO MORE IMPORTAINT RULE WHEN CUTTING OR GRINDING METAL IS TO USE PROPER EYE PROTECTION! Step 5 clean up your cuts with a grinder or file to deburr the sharp edge, after cleaning up the edges take a pair of pliers or a small adjustable wrench and bend the edge downward so your bend is only about 1/16 of a inch all the way around the edge of both top and bottom plates. Step 6 Sand and or prime your new "Pie Plates" to a clolor of your choice. Resuse your air cleaner holdown plastic bolts and install a new air filter and screw it back onto the throttle body. Your cam cover breather is going to need a aftermarket little breather that sort of looks like a K & N oil filler breather cap used on chrome aftermarket valve covers on V8 engines or if you can rig up something on your own your ahead of the game. As a extra feature if you want you can find yourself some thin foam pad roughly 1/2 inch thick and cut out a strip wide enough to cover your air filter, wrap it around the filter and join the two ends with a hot glue gun will work. This will act as a pre filter and will extend your filter life, plus it looks cool too. This works I know as I have a Dodge Caravan with T.B.I fuel injection and being a minivan it is alot heavier then a K car and I need all the extra performance I can get to lug around the 4,000lbs+ vehicle wieght for towing and passengers, I do not have numbers on paper but from seat of the pants testing I would honestly say that a gain of 20+ hp was achevied..
83dartk

Car Information: 1983 Dodge Dart K "Clone" (Dodge Aries)

Re: Open Air Cleaner Pick Up Extra Power

Postby RichG » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 pm

This sounds interesting. I'd like to see some under the hood pics so I can better visualize this. 20 HP is a hefty bump...
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Re: Open Air Cleaner Pick Up Extra Power

Postby 83dartk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Rich

Sorry I'm not Quantum Physicis but I do understand air flow and how restrictive the air filter assembly is, just LOOK AT IT? Also I have no personal Dyno to use to back up my claims, it was a seat of the pants guestamation. But what I can tell you is I've felt a vast improvement as in my test mule 1989 Plymouth Voyager SE (short wheel base model) Weight empty just the van and me 3,987lbs (close enough to 4,000lbs!) given the engine was a stock 1987 2.5L T.B.I engine from a 1987 Plymouth Reliant K SE (no 3 piston, ring lands and rings were broken at the time of this testing)The transaxle was a 1989 Turbo Chrysler Torqueflite A-413 with a shift improver kit (3150-3350rpm converter stall speed [stock turbo] and a final drive raito of 3.02:1 based upon a P195-75-14"LT tire). I had a 1989 Dodge Caravan Turbo SE (SWB model) to take to the load scrapyard, the van was loaded down with extra scrap for more weight to stock or above the factory weight of the original van it self. This local Scrapyard is aproximately 13 km (8 miles) from my home, the most direct route there is via our Expressway with a posted speed limit of 100km/hr (63 MPH) I towed it upon a Towmaster wheel dolly. Travelling there at speeds around 115Km/hr (72 MPH). When I reached the Scrapyard the combined weight of my van, the Dolly and the 89 Caravan was 8,972lbs. I was impressed to be pulling nearly 9,000lbs with a non-turbocharged 2.5L at speeds above 70mph not bad for a stock 100hp engine with only 133 ft,lbs of torque ( without the use of #3 Cylinder!). So in conclusion to that extra 20 hp claim I'm pretty darn sure it's there to do what I described, so I guess I should have used a disclaimer ( oh yeah it was a suggestion only) sorry for any confusion I may have caused anyone in my undocumented claims!
( Please note this 1987 Plymouth Reliant K SE 2.5L engine was dead stock [289,000 km] except for the removal of the balance shafts other then that bone stock and the dammage suffered to no 3 piston was not done while towing but was previosly dammaged when the fuel system malfunctioned upon engine installation several months prior to this event as this 1989 Plymouth Voyager SE started life as a turbo model and was converted back into T.B.I form)

Don
83dartk

Car Information: 1983 Dodge Dart K "Clone" (Dodge Aries)

Return to General Car Discussions