A beautiful Buick Skylark for sale in my neck of the woods

A beautiful Buick Skylark for sale in my neck of the woods

Postby ReliantLV » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:36 pm

http://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/transport/cars/ ... cgnhj.html

So pretty, but asking approx. USD 7000!

I think I am definitely partial to coupes, wow, this IS a beauty (in my opinion)
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Re: A beautiful Buick Skylark for sale in my neck of the woods

Postby 1of10K » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Beautiful and extremely rare car, even here! That is a Limited Model, it seems to have, according to my books, what looks like every option; V6, sport steering wheel, 1/2 Landau roof, console, probably power windows locks and seats with recliners, all the bells and whistles. I had an '85 Skylark back in '85, but didn't have all the nice options that one has.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby Infinitrium » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:24 am

I had an 85 Skylark 4 door Custom about 4 years ago. I was the 3rd owner and it had a bit over 100,000 miles. It was the V6 with the automatic transmission. The engine ran like a dream and even the choke on the carburetor worked properly. The body was still solid when I had it, but the interior was messed up pretty bad. The headliner was coming down like everywhere, the dash was all cracked apart, the front bench seat was bent in the middle for some reason and the ignition switch was busted so I had to rig up a remote start switch on the dash to start it. It needed a lot of exhaust work and the high pressure power steering line ruptured so it sat in my yard for a while til I had it hauled away to a junkyard. I bought a 93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback with the 5 speed transmission to replace it.
Infinitrium

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron

Postby ReliantLV » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I do like this one very much, and I've written to the owner just to say I hope the new buyer will take it to shows/gatherings and I might see it around.

So would this be like the K-car's GM cousin, or not really? (judging by the price, this thing looks more "upper class"?)
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby 1of10K » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:27 am

The Skylark was one of the 4 "X" cars GM made starting in 1980 (Chevrolet Citation, Pontiac Phoenix, Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Omega, in general order of pricing and market placement). The Buick and Oldsmobile shared bodies, the Chevy and Pontiac shared their bodys, underneath all were about the same. The first year ones were extremely trouble prone, led to the X cars being known as the most recalled car in GM history, maybe ever, even more than the Mopar Volare and Aspen models. I have a relative that bought a new '81 Citation and it was really bad right from the start. I worked at a Buick dealer for awhile in 1985, almost every X car made was by then having bad steering rack problems, due to bad design, and the dealers were fighting, trying to avoid replacing hundreds of them under warranty. In cold weather, the steering would bind up or "catch" when turning, when warm, you only felt a slight grab. The X cars that survived to this day are probably the good ones, but a lo miles version would really make me wonder what problems are yet undiscovered.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Near my office, there is a confirmed 1980 Chevrolet Citation 2dr Hatchback I see everyday either parked or moving around at the Oil Change place. Aside from some
dents on the passenger door, the car is very nice with a copper color. I also seeing it getting worked on sometimes. I wonder how it survived 29 years here in car crushing
California. I also know of two other Citations near my school I see running around and I always see Skylarks, a few Omegas, and very rarely a Phoenix. Skylarks have survived the most for some reason it seems.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Butch » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 am

Before the X cars went into production the engineers told GM the brake sys was junk and should not be used. GM ignored them and produced the car any way, people died because of it.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to General Car Discussions