people in public talking about the k-cars

Re: people in public talking about the k-cars

Postby capev86 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 am

actually....80's imports are still popular in the tuner crowd. the honda civic is very much the japanese equivalent of the k car. everything is based on modular components. meaning the hardware is very much a bolt in from newer models and the wiring is the only difficult task. obviously the import crowd has tons of aftermarket support, but there are a couple vendors that cater to the 80's to early 90's fwd mopar crowd. since the daytona, shadow, spirit, dynasty, etc use refined versions of the basic k car chassis.....you can swap all the hardware and drivetrain with ease!

its not just LA....all over the country they are cracking down on derelict cars. most people buy new cars every few years, rather than throwing time and money into an old vehicle i very much like seeing the latest and greatest come out. i'm glad to live in this modern time of portable dvd players and performance parts galore. however, i enjoy being different - partly because i'm an aquarius and partly because i'm nostalgic and like to keep a connection to my childhood. thats why i have kept my 86 k wagon for all these years and continually work on it as money and time allow. my parents bought it in '88 and it was my first car. i look forward to finishing restoring/modding it and showing what a versatile car it is when some imagination is invested.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby turbokcar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:46 pm

I don't care what people say about my Lebaron, all day long my car gets made fun of, but I always say to them "would you like to get your butt kick by one of them"? Most of the people that hassle me now I put a lot of work into mine and they know it's quick, because they try to keep up with me getting on the freeway, so they decline. I think the only reason my car get any respect is when they see SHELBY on the engine. And yes all the turbo 2.2 engines are Shelby engines, check into it.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby capev86 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:21 pm

actually....only the engines in the cars shelby's factory modified are true shelby motors. most turbo cars were actually completely outfitted at the factory and have more stout bottom ends because chrysler wouldn't supply them to him. and don't forget the twin cam R/T cars from the early 90's and the chrysler TC by maserati....shelby had no direct influence on those because he and chrysler parted company in '89.

but yes...if you are running the right parts and setup you can make a mopar fwd pretty dark quick...especially when it faces off against plain jane cars. the import crowd still has the upper hand in terms of aftermarket support. it all depends on how much money you want to spend!
capev86
Car Fan

Postby turbokcar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Go to allpar.com and read about the 2.2 turbo, you might be surprised. And for the record I know the guy that has the dodge Charger prototype that Shelby skunk works developed in Whitter Ca. And it was just a 2.2 no turbo. He also explained the whole thing to me. Shelby licensed his name to Chrysler to use on some cars, but he helped develop the 2.2 turbo. But I'm not saying he personally worked on my car. LOL
turbokcar
Mechanic

Postby capev86 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 am

trust me....i've been reading every bit on turbo dodges i can get my hands on. allpar is my friend and so is thedodgegarage.com as well as many other forums....
capev86
Car Fan

Re: K-cars are soooooo cute!

Postby TomChrysler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:27 pm

My neighbors think they are cute. They want to reach out, pinch their little bumper cheeks and say....
"YOU'RE SO CUUUUUTE!".
TomChrysler
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Town and Country

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:55 pm

You are right Tom, I think my little convertible gets better looking every day compared to cars on the market today. I am just jealous that I don't have the Lumber and Panelling on the sides like you. Maybe I will have to get a matching T & C some day.

Merry Christmas to All,
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Re: k-cars are cute

Postby 88 aries » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:06 am

Lots of young girls that go to car shows think my K-cars look cute and nice, they say "ive never seen one of these before what is it" so i go into K-car history telling them about our club and the history of the K-car
88 aries

Postby turbokcar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Go to the allpar web site and look at the FWD section, all turbo 1 engines were made by Chrysler.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Postby 1of10K » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:54 pm

I posted a free ad locally looking for an 81-83 parts car (no response), But where I went to a local pick a part junkyard a few weeks later and asked if they had any k cars left, the kid behind the counter asked if I was the one who posted that ad. he thought I was building a car for the demolition derby, didn't seem to get it when I explained I was actually restoring one. The K's are extremely scarce around here, but they are still special. After all, who is ever going to remember the Chevy Citation, except for being that " most recalled car in GM history with that funny Edsel model name!" !?!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Discussions