What was the rarest car you ever owned???

Re: What was the rarest car you ever owned???

Postby Rennsport » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

86reliant wrote:It'd be a tossup for me. I've owned so many cars I don't even know where to begin.

But two come to mind. An '83 Ford Fairmont 4-door, and a 1984 Skoda 120 GLS.

Nothing special about the Fairmont, except I got it when it was 15 years old with 17K kms (10.5K miles) on it. It had never had the plastic removed from the floorboards to pulled off the back seat, still had the original tires on it, etc. It was a "Fairmont Futura" which was apparently a high-content model, but it only had an AM radio, no passenger mirror, dog-dish hubcaps (but whitewall tires), and a 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder.

The Skoda... well, that was a little more special because it was the first car I ever owned, and it was free. Engine in the back, rad up front. Trunk that opened sideways. Looked kinda like an Omni with a tacked on trunk. Made in Czechoslovakia; European readers will know what I'm talking about.

Hello, I´m new in this forum but I have already introduced myself in another post. A Skoda? Are you from Europe? Some years ago I used to live in Germany and once I went to neighbouring Czech Republic and I was fascinated by all the rare cars I found. I even found a 1960´s Soviet built Volga (which looked somewhat similar to a 57 Fairline). Skodas were still a common sight but the one you owned are becoming rare even there.

My cars....well, I collect them and I own a 1983 Renault 5 LS (sold in the US as the LeCar), a 1974 Renault 12L, a 1979 Renault 12 TS (this is a Mexican only version and it came with a 1647cc engine and a Weber32, very fast) and a 1972 Renault 8S (by the way, very similar to the Skoda). My Shadow GTS is also rare. The Shadow was sold as "Chrysler" in Mexico and there were several versions. The best one was the GTS and a local development (which used parts from the U.S. R/t) with a European tuned handling and a very efficient Turbo. The gearbox was built by Tremec but the original design was German (from Getrag). These Shadows were very fast and in the track they even outpaced much more expensive cars. They were built only from 1989 to 1991 and are very hard to find.
Rennsport

Car Information: Chrysler (Dodge) Shadow GTS 1990

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:42 am

Skodas where sold in Canada. Ladas too. A Dacia is a real rare find now.
Arthur Dent
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron sedan

Postby Rennsport » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:27 am

That GTE looks very British. I saw a few rare cars in Canada but there was still some snow the last time I was there. I´ll be in Montreal this summer so maybe I may have more luck spotting cars.
Rennsport

Car Information: Chrysler (Dodge) Shadow GTS 1990

Previous

Return to General Car Discussions