What was the rarest car you ever owned???

What was the rarest car you ever owned???

Postby 1of10K » Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 pm

It would be interesting to hear about the rarest car members have ever owned. For me, it was a 1990 Yugo Cabrio Convertible, one of only 86 imported to the US. I bought it from some kid who was about to loose it to the bank, his mother had to pay the bank the difference between the loan and what I paid. (They were 10 grand new, double that of the regular coupe) Very scary and flimsy car, their reputation was well deserved, didn't have it long. Also had a '31 Nash, about the second rarest.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Re: What was the rarest car you ever owned???

Postby dodgeariesguy » Wed May 06, 2009 12:15 am

Well I've only owned a few cars but the rarest by far was my AMC Pacer for about one month before the Aries. It was special and rare because it was a 1978 AMC Pacer D/L Package which right now I wish I had still :(. I mean look at this example of the interior... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/AMC_Pacer_DL_coupe_1979_two-tone_brown_int.JPG God I want that in my life again. 3.8L Inline 6 with the 3-Speed auto. Super Rare seeing as the government in all of Canada had only 3 (including mine) ever registered! I was lovin' me some Pacer, Gremlin, and all AMC's!
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 1of10K » Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 am

I agree, AMC are very interesting cars. My first car ever was a 1964 Rambler American station wagon way back when. Many other AMC & Nashes since then! Pacers are neat, always thought Pacer DL and Concord DL interiors were among the most elegant for a small car.
1of10K
Car Fan

Postby Silverbeard » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 am

My first car was a 1969 Toyota Corolla, 1100 cc ( OK then a 1.1 L), 4 speed, had a manual choke, no polution control devices at all.
When I needed a second car I got a 1971 Austin America, 1300 cc.
Later I had a 1973 Porche 914, 1.7 L Fuel Injected, 5 speed, targa roof.
All uncommon cars at their time, and almost extinct species now.
Will dig up pics to post later.
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby 89ARIES » Wed May 06, 2009 3:51 am

The one I have right now. One of 3,200 made. 1989 Dodge Aries LE Coupe. My car will be worth a lot of money one day.
Also guys, this car is my ONLY car, daily driver, first car, and the car that plunged me into K-car land and expanded my knowledge base about cars in general. When I first got my car, I thought "Cool, what a beautiful box on wheels. I don't like jelly bean cars. What the heck is an Aries? Why does the speedo stop at 85? I like those boxy 80s I remember as a kid and on old TV shows." "Hhm, cars have names. But, I don't know what they are called?" I look back to the time I was 22 when I got my K-car and I was so ignorant of car names. The only car name I knew was Mustang and any old car we had. I could not identify anything on the road except for familiar shapes. I didn't even know what a LeBaron was. Now, every car on the road captures my attention like some rare species being hunted toward extinction. It definitely has become a part of my life.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Chief » Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Probably my 1955 Mercedes 190 SL, it sat in a guys backyard for about 14 years, before I restored it in the mid 70's. It was a fabulous automobile and I won several shows with it. I finally sold it to a Pathologist about a year after the restoration, because my wife hated the stick shift.

Chief

Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby 1of10K » Tue May 12, 2009 11:08 am

Now that is an extremely nice classic car!! Always loved late 50's Mercedes, I tried a Gull Wing restoration years ago, but the car was so consumed by hidden rust, it wasn't practical. I eventually traded it to another collector for an almost as rare '58 Packard Hawk, with much better results.
1of10K
Car Fan

Postby Baron » Tue May 12, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm thinking perhaps my 83 Chrysler E-Class may have the rarest I've ever owned. From what I've learned on this forum, apparently not too many of them were sold, and even less exist now.

After that, perhaps my 78 Lebaron 2-dr. Don't think very many of those were sold either, as right after we got ours, as we know, Chrysler ended up in big trouble and needed government help while they pinned their hopes on the K-car. Sales died and Chrysler car values went right down the tube. But it was a great car- from what I understand, it has one of the best recall (or in this case, non-recall) records in auto history, and even made Motor Trend's best used car buy list a short time later.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby Chief » Tue May 12, 2009 11:53 pm

1of10K wrote:Now that is an extremely nice classic car!! Always loved late 50's Mercedes, I tried a Gull Wing restoration years ago, but the car was so consumed by hidden rust, it wasn't practical. I eventually traded it to another collector for an almost as rare '58 Packard Hawk, with much better results.

A beautifully restored 300SL Gullwing is just about "PRICELESS" now!!! I only did the 190SL because I only had to pay $1000 for it back then. A guy tried to sell me a Gullwing for about $10,000, and I thought he was out of his mind. I told him that was way too expensive! :lol: hahahahahaahahahahaha
But you do live and learn! :mrgreen:

Peace,

Chief
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby 89ARIES » Wed May 13, 2009 5:05 am

Hi Baron. When are you going to buy a K-car? :lol:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Next

Return to General Car Discussions