2014 CKCC Roadtrip Saga. Very interesting story.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

2014 CKCC Roadtrip Saga. Very interesting story.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:02 pm

The Roadtrip was a success! Everything we do is a success, because
we meet new people, new cars, and help each other out, and have fun.
Yes, I do complain from time to time that I do everything, and I have a few
people in this club that hate me, but it comes with the job. Our biggest
positive is the social interaction, new people, and new places, and of course
the last of our cars.

Great Story:
We had 10 in attendance
Richard Savin
George Nerrie with broken down 1982 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe
Ray Dunlap with snapped axle on 1985 Plymouth Caravelle (Who just donated $100 yesterday)
Myself with 1986 Chrysler LeBaron TC Wagon
Jeff Voth with 1987 Plymouth Reliant Sedan (Thanks for the donation)
John O'Neil with 1987 Chrysler LeBaron Sedan (Thanks for the donation)
Jeanne with 1985 Dodge 600 Convertible (Thanks for the donation)
Gustavo with 1986 Dodge 600 Convertible
Steve Soukap with 1984 Chrysler LeBaron TC Convertible
John Urtu with 1987 Chrysler LeBaron TC Wagon.

Phase 1: Breakfast at Bob's. Six beautiful K-Cars in attendance.
White Reliant, White LeBaron Sedan, my woody wagon, two red convertibles,
and the blue Plymouth Caravelle. John O'Neil bought me breakfast. George called me
and said his LeBaron was broken down on the side of the road, and he wasn't
coming. We offered to drive by and see if he was alright. There was a white
mint 1972 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan in the parking lot.

Phase 2: Roadtrip chaos. I made some errors, and no person seemed able to keep
up with the other person. Our other cruises have gone smoother than this. We got
seperated, and Ray broke an axle on his Caravelle. I had to call Gustavo from the road
and ask him to lead the others. I got to the Lighthouse first, and it was quite hot
near the ocean. Gustavo also went to the wrong lighthouse. My error was several, to include
leading the three cars in the wrong direction, and not verbally checking to make sure
people really new what they were doing. I "assumed" my stack of my directions were enough.
Jeanne even saw a red Baron convertible driving near them that was not part of the crew.
So, for one moment in the year of our Lord 2014, there were five K-cars driving down Riverside Drive,
make U-turns, and getting confused, and running yellow lights. I was stopped at a green light
several times attempting to gather our group, then I turned off, and they kept going, and we were
separated. I was also followed by a dented up, beat to a pulp, driving 1973 Buick LeSabre 4dr Sedan.
We were going to show up as a group to Lola's place and offer to take her on the cruise as she
has been having problems with her 86 woody convertible. It wasn't even on the agenda at this point
as were losing time and getting lost. We had tried to reach her earlier.

Phase 3: Point San Vincente Lighthouse. We made the video for Jeanne as she is selling her 85 600 Convertible.
She gave the club a donation, and then left. Gustavo, his wife, and myself toured the lighthouse. He came
all the way from Oxnard. Before he left, he let me testdrive his convertible. It stalled just once in reverse.
Found out he has check engine light codes of 13,33, and 51. They decided to take Pacific Coast Highway 100 miles
all the way home to Oxnard. I got hydrated and headed out to Phase 4.

Phase 4: Mission San Juan Capistrano. I got there in an hour, even with some bad traffic. Just before
I reached the exit for the mission, not more than five cars in front of me, the pick-up slammed into the
car in front of it, leaving a dustcloud. I wondered what would have happened had we been there as a caravan.
Got off the freeway, and roared down El Camino and flagged Steve, who I had just seen driving in his
woody convertible. Found parking in the overcrowded mission, and was able to flag Steve, John Urtu and his
father with his 87 woody wagon and red VW Bug. At the point, Ray called me. Managed to get us all together,
and did a photo op and video shoot of the wagon for sale. I feel bad because Richard Savin called me, and I
missed the call, and failed to respond as I was distracted. He came out from San Diego, only to miss us.
We decided not to do the mission tour, and just get dinner at a burger place nextdoor. It was too crowded for
Winds & Sea Restaurant. We had Corona beers. I met John Urtu's father, a veteran of WWII who is selling
the wagon. His caretaker was there with us as well. I let the caretaker drive my car, and I drove the 87
woody wagon back to John Urtu's fathers house. The father showed me pictures of his family, and we chatted
a little. Ended the day.

Phase 5: Non-club related: Drove to San Clemente Pier by myself, and found the only parking spot in almost
the entire city. Ed Garren had suggested we used the restaurant for dinner for this event. Glad we didn't.
There was no parking, no pay parking, and no room to sit. Would have been good for another day. I sampled
a Margarita that was too strong for me, and walked it off along the beach. Found the beautiful San Clemente
hiking, bike trail, and ended up at the Metrolink station that Ed had suggested. It became clear to me the wisdom
of Ed's in taking the train if we ever go to San Clemente.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Announcements and Events