Did I overheat my 86 wagon? I can't take it anymore.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Did I overheat my 86 wagon? I can't take it anymore.

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 am

Well, I made the wise decision to drive my 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Wagon into Mexico. Bad idea.

As I was stuck for five freaken hours to go one freaken mile last night to get back into the United States, my car had
an issue.

The temperature gauge came dangerously close to the top. My car was stuck for four hours at idle, lost 4 gallons of gas, and
I did everything I could to keep the temp down. I ran the a.c., then the heater, then put in neutral, and finally turned off the
car near the border and pushed it to give it time to cool down.

I just had a new headgasket, and a new head put on.

At idle, the temperature gauge would not come down like it normally would when the fan came on and the thermostat opened. In fact, the fan was
running non-stop and the needle basically just stayed above 2/3rds, and would slowly creep towards the top. Twice, I got nervous, and the third time
is the charm the needle starting slowly inching to the red. I shut it off before I could find out.

What is wrong with these Chrysler 2.5s? They all do the same blasted thing. The needle doesn't stay at half, but it comes up to 2/3rds, and then comes
down to half. This wagon was having the needle come almost up to the top, and then down to 2/3rds, now it isn't even doing that. As long as I drive
at 35 or more, the needle will stay below half and do fine. My first indication of a problem should have been the night before I left for Mexico, when the gauge
dropped like a rock then minute I accelerated onto the freeway.

HELP!
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Did I overheat my 86 wagon? I can't take it anymore.

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Guy,

There is nothing wrong with the design of the cooling system of the 2.5 or the engine itself other than the weak factory head gaskets. Even the head gasket issue can be resolved by replacing the factory gasket with a newer type.

If you are worried about running hot, do not run the A/C as it imposes a greater heat load on the cooling system. The heat from the A/C condenser is partially transferred into the radiator.

I would take a careful look at the radiator. The cooling fins tend to rot away over time making the radiator much less efficient. It's an easy fix radiators are fairly inexpensive for these cars. Also, make sure the fan is running properly.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 1987dodgearies » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 am

A old/corroded/clogged up radiator was also my first thought. As best as you can see...How do the passages look inside your radiator? Was your coolant level down from when you started your trip or did it stay the same?

I worried about the same thing last week when the turnpike shut down for 3 hours. To save fuel I kept shutting off my car...plus avoid the possibility of over heating. However with the new radiator I put in last fall, my engine temp gauge never went over 2/3 on the gauge. I'm in PA and it was only 90 degrees...Nothing like temperatures on the Mexican border.

I like to price shop and not sacrifice quality. I picked up this same radiator for about $70 shipped last winter ....in case your looking. It has a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290961993105?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Postby mona's k » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Did you check the coolant level before you left? Not what is in the overflow jug but the actual radiator? If you (or your mechanic) didn't let it "burp" a few times after filling the coolant system and letting it warm up your radiator could be low on coolant and they don't hold much to begin with. Check the radiator level (not the jug) with a cold engine, fill if necessary, run with the radiator cap off and when the fluid starts to rise shut the engine off and put the cap back on. Check again after driving a few miles and letting everything cool down.

Also, did you get a lot of heat from the vents with the heater on? If not (should have cooked you out of the car) might have air in the system.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Return to Announcements and Events