A Newer Version of a K-Car.

Not for the sensible driver. New cars vs. the old reliable ones

A Newer Version of a K-Car.

Postby johnw88 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:08 am

Automakers made a newer version of the Volkswagon Beetle, the mustang 67 and the Thunderbird. why not make a new version of the K-CAR. And save a lot of GAS?
johnw88

Car Information: dodge ariea 1988 71,000 blue 4 doors

Re: A Newer Version of a K-Car.

Postby capev86 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:36 pm

no matter how wonderful the k car was in its day, the fact remains that now it holds the stigma as being an old lady car or a relic being driven by an unfortunate 3rd class citizen living in a trailer park. in this age of sophisticated cars boasting hundreds of horsepower and sleek, futuristic (a.k.a. quiet and aerodynamic) styling, a "bare bones, no frills" car just isn't on the menu. many modern cars deliver vastly superior performance while returning the same (and sometimes better) gas mileage than our old iron gave us!
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:31 am

I absolutely hate that attitude that people have towards the K car. I even get irritated that most people see no value in classic economy cars. But then again, each to his own. A K car may be considered no frills, and bare bones, but so was the Ford Pinto and various other 60s and 70s cars. K cars are not pure bare bones and no frills in the strict sense. What about the convertibles? What about the comfort and luxury of New Yorker with a talking computer, weather station, and comfy seats. What about an affordable wagon with wood trim that can be used in car shows, beach parties, and for campouts. Name any modern car that you can buy that is considered bare bones and no frills that provides as many different uses and body styles as the K. Name a modern car that stands out with a hood ornament, chrome, and a unique body styling. Name a modern economy car that any novice can work on where parts are easy to replace and there are no huge dealership fees. The K car will never be reproduced. I hope that some day, when the K car is almost gone, people will realize they lost a neat piece of auto history and then we can laugh and say, we drive K cars! Long live the K car club. Long live the Edsel. Long live the Kissel car. Finally, long live all the unique body styles the 1980s cars had to offer that will be never produced. Long live the Chevy Cavalier. Long live the Chevy Citation. Long live all the 1980s economy cars that have now been almost completely destroyed by a majority of people who dispose of their cars as often as they dispose of their clothes. I will always drive a Chrysler. If I can't afford it, it will become a museum piece or some car I can tinker with on the weekend.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88 aries » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:46 pm

i know what you mean lots of kids at my school say things about my reliant but when i say that i get 35 miles per gallon THEY SHUT THERE MOUTHS QUICKLY

LOL, i love my k-cars there so much fun and when gas prices are reaching 330 a gallon you cant go wrong with a k-car
88 aries

Postby Webmaster » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:45 pm

I knew it......The world laughed at me.....but I showed them......Some cars actually do have better mileage then reports say, many of which are bias against the old cars in the first place. And this is especially nice to say especially since Gas is 3 1/2 with premium up to 4 dollars (nearly as much as Europe, lol.)

Traditionally, whenever America has gone through recessions or gas crises, there has always been the idea of making those great economic cars that are cheap to buy and economically proficient (such as gas, etc.). We start with the classic model-T and end with that other classic, the K-Car. The newer cars built today are based on models that were born when America was booming, spending money, gas was cheap, and everybody was happy. Now finances are tightening at the same time gas prices are rising. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-Car returned, or at least a K-Car based model. Maybe we can bring back for 2012, the all New K-Car Diesel!!!!!!! Wouldn't I look cool in a K-Car Diesel Convertable, racing down the beach highway
8)
Webmaster
Site Admin

Car Information: Top Secret

Postby 84Aries » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:48 pm

I know the chances are slim but I would love to see the K-cars come back as the beetle did. If the Ford Pinto hadn't got the bad wrap it did Ford would've brought it back by now. I think its time Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth stepped it up a notch and bring back the Aries, Reliant, 600's, 400's, & woody wagons.
84Aries
Car Fan

Car Information: finding another one

Postby 88 aries » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 am

I agree history is repeating its self, chrysler in the red, WE NEED ANOTHER LEE IACOCCA
88 aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 pm

Or the same Lee Iacocca :wink: J.K. No seriously we need some more cheap reliable transportation now! And from Chrysler!
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby capev86 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm

they did make a more modern k car in the early 90's....the dodge spirit and plymouth acclaim. the tooling was sold to the chineese after 1995 when it was discontinued. more modern cars were coming out that better fit the changing wants of buyers. i heard rumors of chrysler buying back the car, but it would likely clash with their current image of a macho car builder.

like it or not, but the neon was the true descendant of the k car. the 2.0 and 2.4 (SRT-4 and pt cruiser) share the same bore center to center design of the old 2.2 and 2.5. in fact you can swap a newer cylinder head onto an old engine with a few trick bits and work. the displacement is purely a matter of the stroke of the crankshaft. the newer engines all have mpi and most have 16 valves for better performance. a base neon can match any k car in gas mileage. even without the acr suspension package, a neon is naturally a good rally car contender. it has vastly superior aerodynamics and features independent rear supension. the neon even has a good size trunk. if only chrysler had given it a bigger fuel tank and made a wagon version. but everyone was buying minivans in the 90's so there was no need. the neon was bare bones yet fun at the same time. but even its time has passed. the caliber has a hyundai based 2.4 and is nowhere near the neon in terms of practicality and fuel economy.

yes they made fancier versions of the k car, but larger bodies, gaudy trim, and convertible tops (and body stiffeners) add weight which is detrimental to fuel economy and performance. power to weight ratio is as much about weight as power. my base dynasty 2.5 was 500 pounds heavier than my k wagon. that's like losing 50hp or a 1/2 second in the quarter mile.

although the k car is a staple of the 80's, it is not an icon in the manner of the t-bird, mustang and beetle. those cars reach back to the golden age. even the new beetle is a retro body on a golf platform (front engine and fwd). it is not a true reincarnation of the original. the pattern of history repeats itself, but not the exact details. chrysler will go bankrupt before it tries to reinvent the k car. this is not the 1980s and society and the auto market have different expectations and auto makers will only look forward. thats what people want....the latest, greatest thing!
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby Special K » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:00 pm

capev86 wrote:no matter how wonderful the k car was in its day, the fact remains that now it holds the stigma as being an old lady car or a relic being driven by an unfortunate 3rd class citizen living in a trailer park. in this age of sophisticated cars boasting hundreds of horsepower and sleek, futuristic (a.k.a. quiet and aerodynamic) styling, a "bare bones, no frills" car just isn't on the menu. many modern cars deliver vastly superior performance while returning the same (and sometimes better) gas mileage than our old iron gave us!

That is so true. All my lady friends love my Aries. But one of them last night went with me to Walmart and as we were pulling in she stated " This is a car one would normally see at Walmart". I was shocked! It is kind of funny though. I park my car, get out and people look amazed. I usually dress in a nice suit or in Armani Exchange. I laugh when I see the people that give me the dirty looks dressed like slobs getting into there 40K dollar SUVs. HAHA! When will people learn that these cars are freaking awesome.
90 Mazda RX-7
87 Yamaha Razz
83 Dodge Aries
Special K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Dodge Aries

Next

Return to Car Wars