Go see Star Trek...NOW!!

Topics which have nothing to do with the Chrysler K-car club

Go see Star Trek...NOW!!

Postby Purplegrasshopper » Sun May 10, 2009 3:16 am

It's absolutely, positively amazing. Freaking awesome!!! So well done...can't wait for this to come out on Blu Ray!
Purplegrasshopper
Car Fan

Car Information: None

Re: Go see Star Trek...NOW!!

Postby RichG » Sun May 10, 2009 11:41 am

I saw it last night. Enjoyable, but it has it's issues. Having been a Star Trek fan since the original series aired (yes, I'm ancient), I'm perturbed by the fact that they have created an alternate time line, so that they will be able to continue the franchise independent of the original; this then is not so much a "prequel" to the original or a lead-up to the other films, as much as a fresh start with the characters and their interaction. Secondly, if we did not have the foreknowledge of the characters and their relationship in the "future" and our penchant for romantisizing Star Trek as an entity, would the film stand alone as a worthy effort? The plot line is not nearly meaty enough, and furthermore, what's with the Spock/Uhura thing.......more evidence that their future is different than the develpoments of the original series.
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby Purplegrasshopper » Sun May 10, 2009 3:06 pm

RichG wrote:I saw it last night. Enjoyable, but it has it's issues. Having been a Star Trek fan since the original series aired (yes, I'm ancient), I'm perturbed by the fact that they have created an alternate time line, so that they will be able to continue the franchise independent of the original; this then is not so much a "prequel" to the original or a lead-up to the other films, as much as a fresh start with the characters and their interaction. Secondly, if we did not have the foreknowledge of the characters and their relationship in the "future" and our penchant for romantisizing Star Trek as an entity, would the film stand alone as a worthy effort? The plot line is not nearly meaty enough, and furthermore, what's with the Spock/Uhura thing.......more evidence that their future is different than the develpoments of the original series.

I, too, am a diehard Star Trek fan. Have seen every movie and every single episode of every single TV series. I am actually fascinated by the approach they took to the movie. I think you could probably agree that before this movie, the franchise was suffering. Nearly dead in my opinion. I think it's brilliant that they altered the timeline. It blows the mind to think of all the different possibilities that now exist. They could spin off TV series based on the new timeline, the whole nine yards. Whether you agree with the approach they took, you have to admit that this movie probably saved the Star Trek franchise. And just because the timeline has changed, doesn't nullify the "original" timeline. If you know anything about Star Trek, you know that multiple timelines already exist (Mirror Universe, anyone?). And I would pay money to bet that in a future movie/TV series they find a way preserve/tie-in the timeline line of the "classic" Star Trek we all grew up with. Anyways, sorry to babble on, but it's been a very long time since I've actually been excited about the future of Star Trek. And this movie gives me hope that the franchise and Gene Rodenberry's dream will live on.
Purplegrasshopper
Car Fan

Postby RichG » Sun May 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that alternate/parallel timelines are necessarily a bad thing. And I would agree that the franchise was, if not dead, totally stagnant. I think that I anticipated something other than what was portrayed; I suppose that I was looking for a true prequel (not in the vein of "Enterprise") that would establish the "Birth" of the crew, as we knew them later. I have no doubt that, if the film generates dollars, a sequel will be in the works; lord knows all the actors are young enough that they could continue in the characters for decades.........in case it wasn't obvious, I did enjoy the movie, in spite of my trepidatiions........
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby Purplegrasshopper » Mon May 11, 2009 4:48 am

RichG wrote:I have no doubt that, if the film generates dollars, a sequel will be in the works; lord knows all the actors are young enough that they could continue in the characters for decades

Well, it's already the highest grossing film of 2009; beat out X-men's strong numbers from last weekend. I can't wait to see where they go with this "new" story line.
Purplegrasshopper
Car Fan

Return to Non-related Topics