Electronic instrument cluster

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Electronic instrument cluster

Postby terry » Mon May 31, 2010 6:08 pm

My 84 LeBaron convertible has a problem w/ the electronic instrument cluster. Last week it all of a sudden went black. Went I turn the key to start the car it goes on for a fraction of a second and then goes black. What is the problem?
terry

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron town&country convertible 1984

Re: Electronic instrument cluster

Postby Arkday Otuslay » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:38 am

If it were me, I would try checking the fuses. The fuse box on mine is under the stering wheel behind a panel.
Arkday Otuslay

Car Information: Dodge, Aries, 1987. Blue LE 2.5 Liter Automatic

Postby terry » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 am

I checked the fuses and they were all okay. Now what? :cry:
terry

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron town&country convertible 1984

Postby Veronica » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Two things: Electric diagram and multimeter. Check both the power and ground leads. If possible alligator clip onto both during the start up. My guess is that somewhere a wire is loose or short somewhere that is messing up.

Another idea:
There is a Haynes book called "computer codes". It tells you how to put the computer into diagnostic mode and see if it gives back any error codes and then compare them to the error codes in the book. If you have the book great, if not, let me know and I will find our copy and look the information up for you.
Veronica

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries Station wagon, 1982 Dodge B250

Postby Evilsmuff » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:05 am

honestly it sounds like a short to me. check the wiring to see if you can pinpoint it. if it's not the wires, check the instrument panel itself. I had a short on the panel, non digital i might add, shut off my gas gage. new panel, no issue. 40 bucks here tho. :(
Evilsmuff

Car Information: Caravelle 1986 2dr, 1985 4dr, 600 1987 4dr

Postby Veronica » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Loose or short could be in the instrument panel, wiring or ANY sensor connected to either. Multimeter will find that real quick. First power locates what circuit is the problem and then Ohm to locate the exact component or wire. Shorts are the easiest to find as we just disconnect things until the short goes away. Opens are a whole lot more fun. When ground is open, all sorts of wacky things happen. So Def check ground right at the start.

Fortunately Chrysler always used high quality copper wiring which is apparently not always the case in automobiles as some manufacturers have used lesser quality materials. (Electronics geek-girl here).
Veronica

Postby Evilsmuff » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 am

Hmm... would ford be one of those culprits of the poor wiring systems??? Got some issues with my mystique... dash mights don't work. i don't have a multimeter so i've been trying via trial and error to get it working. lots of fun, not so productive.
Evilsmuff

Postby Veronica » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Evilsmuff wrote:Hmm... would ford be one of those culprits of the poor wiring systems??? Got some issues with my mystique... dash mights don't work. i don't have a multimeter so i've been trying via trial and error to get it working. lots of fun, not so productive.

Why not just get a multi-meter? Okay guys, I want to ask this. Dont guys almost all LOVE tools? When a girl suggests that you go buy a tool, why is there a problem with this? :o

When Im cooking dinner, I can either stick my finger in the food and tell if it is done by what degree of burn that I get or I can use a thermometer. Electricity is the same way. We can either find out by being electrocuted or by using a meter. Tools are our friends, they prevent injury and do things that we cannot. Please go buy a multimeter right now and stop the trial and error stuff? No more watching "Down Periscope" until you have a multimeter and learn how to use it.
Veronica

Postby rare_ram » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 am

Wow, a woman encoraging a man to buy tools. If only I could find such a woamn here in VA. :P
rare_ram
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Lancer ES

Postby Evilsmuff » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:16 am

My mother loves tools actually. She takes an odd pride in the fact that, and she stated it on my facebook page, she can take my sister out shopping for a good impact hammer and her son will go dress shopping for haloween. got no problem with goin and getting the tools tho lol. I didn't even know the thing existed! :lol:
Evilsmuff

Return to Info and Forum Help