Date my car was manufactured

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Date my car was manufactured

Postby thill944 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I need to replace one of my CV Axle assemblies on my 83 Lebaron, 2.6, Mark Cross convertible. I have to know the exact date my car was manufactured. I know it was built in May of 1983 but according to what i have read they changed these on May 21 of 83. Anyone know where to find the build date of this car. The Vin number is 1C3BC55G2DG186662. aNY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks to Ron. Found the tag in the engine bay. My car was built May 10, 1983. Has four lugs not five. Anyone got a good axle assembly for the passenger side for sale?

Thanks Terry

tERRY
Last edited by thill944 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thill944

Car Information: 83 Lebaron Convertible Mark Cross Town and Countr

Re: Date my car was manufactured

Postby Baron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:19 pm

I suspect the numbers on your Fender Tag will have better information on when your car was built.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 pm

I think exact build dates are on a paper sticker in the door jam - which probably is not there any longer or in the build sheet that was delivered with the car.

I think there is a compressed length difference between the early and late shafts. I can't seem to find the compressed length specifications for both types on the Internet. I will look in my parts books tonight and see what I can find.

This is only speculation, but I think that about that time (mid 83?) Chrysler switched to the 5 lug bolt hub on the Chrysler Lebaron Mark Cross. I think all 82's had the 4 lub bolt. I suspect if you have the 4 lug bolt hub you have the early design and if you have the 5 lub hub you have the later design.

Maybe a Chrysler mechanic could confirm or deny this.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 pm

I think the changeover from 4 to 5 lug was 85/86. 85 and back is 4 lug, 86 and up is 5.
MyDodgeDip

Postby thill944 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 pm

thill944 here again
My car still has the tag on the drivers side door and all it says is 5/83. My car does have the 5 lug wheels on it. I have no build sheet though.

Terry
Attachments
size.640x.jpg
size.640x.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
thill944

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm

You can find some build date information on the Body plate tag. (Ithink its under the hood.) Next to last row (row 4 out of 5 rows); second field from the right side of the tag. 3 alpha numberic characters. Projected Build date: 1st position (most significant - leftmost) = month, where 1-9 = Jan-Sep, A = Oct, B=Nov, C= Dec; next 2 positions (digits 2 and 3) give the day.

In the 1983 Mopar service manual its says driveshafts are identified as "GNK" or "Citroen" assemblies, and that vehicles can be equipped with either assembly, however, assemblies should not be intermixed. In the 1983 Mopar parts book it says that they used 2 different manufactures for the half shaft assemblies (GNK and Citroen). You have to identify them visually (different dimension, different shape boots, etc) (Citroen - inner boot has 3 uniform size ribs; GNK inner boot has 2 small size ribs and one lare size rib (widely spaced) with a gradual taper) (If you send me a PM with an e-mail address I will send you a pdf of the ID drawings). If you want to rebuild a unit you need to identify the unit exactly. It says you may have different brands on differernt sides. For Citroen there is no changeover date. For GNK the changeover date is approximately 5-20-83 and the two GNK units have some different internal parts. I could not find any interfacing parts that indicate a changeover date or that you have to use one brand or the other. I suspect, but am not sure, that Citroen and GNK were just alternative suppliers and that the two GNK units are just a parts supplier internal change. In any event probably best to try to match up your original unit if you are only changing one side.

In my 1986 Mopar parts book, Chrysler is up to 4 alternative suppliers GNK, Citroen, Saignaw, and ACI. In that book it says you can interchange complete units between suppliers as long as its the same application.

A Mitchell parts books covering 81-94 lists a single number for each of the 4 different alternative suppliers (for each side) and says it covers 82-87. Th number in the Mitchell book for GNK does not match the number in the 86 Mopar book or the numbers in the 83 Mopar book. I think GNK must have been constantly making changes to their design.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby thill944 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Ron What is your email address?

Thanks Terry
thill944

Return to Info and Forum Help