Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi. I would like feedback from fellow K car club members regarding a car I am interested in purchasing. Here are the details:

It's a 1985 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible. It is the Cream Crystal (light yellow) with a tan top and tan vinyl interior. It was just traded in this week at a Dodge dealership in Pennsylvania by the original owner for a new Durango. The front seats were covered with fake lambs wool seat covers when new and have never actually been sat on.

Optional equipment includes air, power windows, seats, luggage rack, AM-FM Stereo cassette and wire wheel covers. The original top boot is in the trunk.

The car has only 21,000 original miles on it (documented), and has no mechanical issues. Dealership said they would do a complete safety inspection prior to sale.

The dealership is about a four hour ride from my home in Connecticut, so it would be possible for me to drive out and get it in person. Also, I am going to be in the area next month for a trip.

The asking price is $6,800. I really like the car, but I think the price may be too high, probably by at least $1,000. What do you think? Should I buy the car or take a pass. What should I bid if I decide to buy?

Here is a link to photos that the dealership e-mailed me this afternoon. I'll really appreciate any feedback or advice on this one.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j43 ... nvertible/

Thanks
Jeff Lepak, CT Chapter President

PS: If I decide to buy, my '82 Lebaron base model convertible may be available.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Re: Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Oh, I forgot to add: It has the turbocharged engine.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Postby MyDodgeDip » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:47 am

If you want a nice convertible to drive and enjoy, the price is way too high. If you absolutely must have an extremely low mileage, near perfect 85 lebaron the price is probably still high.

How bad do you need/want one?
MyDodgeDip

Postby nszotovich » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 am

Condition looks superb. See it in person. if you still love it, offer him no more than $5,000. Preferably $4800. Dealers always mark them up. There is wiggle room. The engine is a plus, but it is a base model. nothing rare. Condition is everything. Good Luck :)
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby Butch » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:41 am

Wait 3 mos, when they can't sell they'll call the scraper. Then offer the scraper $500. and he'll jump on it. I worked at a few dealerships and I know they DON'T like having cars older than 5 yrs old on their lots. I'd say $4k would be tops on that car anyway. Trade in was probally $1500. on that car. I bought my car at work and paid what they paid for it because it sat there too long.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 aries » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm

i'd offer 5,000 for it, nice looking car, but its a baser like nick said.. but on the plus side it is a fuel injected 2.2 turbo instead of our favorite, 2.6 :lol: if you really want a nice convertable, id go for one more loaded up with options.
88 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I tend to agree with 88 aries and Nick on the $5000 - assuming everything is superb when you inspect it in person. I think its always better to buy a low mileage original if you can find it. I agree with Nick that condition is everything. I would ask the dealer to send you some additional photos of the engine compartment and underneath if possible - especially to see if there are any signs that it has overheated or if there are any rust issues underneath. To me a turbocharged engine is a negative - more potential problems. But I am not looking for performance out of a K car.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:50 pm

For comparison. This immaculate 86 Dodge 600 convertible was for sale with an asking price of $4800 about a year ago. I think it had about 60K miles. Always garaged. 2.5 liter engine. Paint/interior was all original. Near perfect condition. I think the owner told me that the top had been replaced recently.

1986 Dodge 600 Convertible by šťastnou cestu, on Flickr

K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks to everyone who responded. I agree that the car was way overpriced, despite how nice it is. The reason I was so interested was that I really love this color (Cream Crystal) and that it had such low mileage. Actually, I am hoping to find a Mark Cross in comparable condition or maybe even a T&C. But although this car may not be everything I want, I'd be happy with it as it is still my preferred color and a Turbo. I just sent the dealership an e-mail and offered a top bid of $4,900. They might just take it, because there is probably no way they are ever going to get this kind of money unless they come across a really uninformed buyer. But it won't be me. I'll keep looking if they won't sell at a reasonable price.

My ultimate dream K car would be either an '85 Mark Cross in this color or an '84 or '85 T&C. The '84 would have to be Mink Brown Pearl and the '85 would have to be Gold Dust. Also, it would have to be a turbo, not the Mitsubishi 2.6 (my preference). But everytime I find one I like, it is too far away and the transport charges put it way over my budget. I now wish I had bought one of these new back then and saved it, instead of wasting all my money on those old clunkers I owned from the '30's, 40's and 50's. I went broke trying to keep those ancient things running and every one of them ended up being sold at a big loss when I faced some big mechanical problem that I couldn't afford to fix. Such is life when you are an old car enthusiast!
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Postby 88 aries » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 am

The turbos are not as trouble some as you think, as long as do you do proper procedures.. warm ups, and then after driving cool down for 2 or 3 mins. not to mention you can get on it and have a blast. you can even install a grainger valve and control the boost :) If it sits to long on the lot they will simply take the car to an auction. It wouldn't hurt to stop in and ask about the car. maybe offer cash.. or say you can do 5,000 you just gotta wheel and deal... while you are at it check the floors, convertables love to rust out in the wheel wells..
88 aries

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects