Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Looks good from the photos. Good luck.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 am

I drove down to NJ today to look at the white '85 Mark Cross Turbo. Unfortunately, it proved to be disappointing and I've decided to pass on it. The car definitely did not look as good in person as it did in the photos. The top was not functioning (seller did not disclose this) and the fabric was worn, with a couple of small tears and holes in it. There was also a large crease in the driver's side door that did not show up in the photos. But the real thing that put me off was that the seller stated that the actual mileage was 25K, but from the looks of the car, it was more like 125K. The engine compartment was very dirty and the aluminum valve cover had serious surface corrosion on it. But I will say that the car drove well and had signs of recent work - looks like all hoses and belts were replaced and the mechanic said that the timing belt and brakes had recently been done. The leather interior was in good condition with no rips or cracking on the seats and the digital speedometer worked. It was really fun to watch the numbers clicking off as I accelerated; I definitely want my next car to have this feature.

But the whole experience was very strange and made me nervous about buying this car. According to the ad, the car was supposed to be at a used car dealership. I drove for over 3 hours to get there and followed the directions exactly, but when I got there, I found a vacant building. I asked a truck driver I saw next door if he had heard of the dealership and he said that he had, but that they were actually located at a gas station down the street. I went there and found the Lebaron parked outside. The person I corresponded with about the car (we had exchanged several e-mails) was not there, even though I told him when I was coming, so I ended up dealing with his mechanic. The seller never showed up and never even called me, even though I waited for about an hour and left a message on his answering machine that I was there looking at the car. At least his mechanic was nice and he even put the car up on a lift for me so I could look underneath. In my last e-mail, I stated that I wanted to see the original title, plus any receipts for recent work. The mechanic gave me a paper he said was the title, but it was a xerox and it was not even for that car - on the title it said it was a 1986 Town & Country Station Wagon. So I just left after that. Very suspicious. I'll keep looking. Next time, I'll make sure that I get a clear photo of the engine compartment. This is a dead giveaway if the car has high mileage. Dealers usually won't take the time to do a good cleaning here.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby MyDodgeDip » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:40 am

Where in NJ? Let me know if you want someone to come along to look the car over if it's anywhere near central NJ, I'll be glad to come and give you my "professional" opinion. :D
MyDodgeDip

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:53 pm

The car was for sale at JT Auto Sales in Summit, NJ. It was near Newark. The ad is online at Cars.com.
The ad says it is a dealership, but it is actually being run out of an Exxon station across from a diner. There is no sign up for the dealership end. Address is 54 River Road. Person I was dealing with was named Jeff O'Connor. Feel free to have a look if you want. Their number is 877-295-6620.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:33 pm

WOW! EXCITING! What an adventure. I have ended up in some pretty strange parts of town looking for K-cars. And, I have met my fair share of flaky sellers. I felt bad for one as I knew his car would probably never sell because of the hatchet job done on it. :lol:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:38 pm

I have actually had some very positive stories with sellers as well. Two of them even let me testdrive their K-cars right off the lot unsupervised. They saw I was legitimate since I almost live in my K-car and I bring fliers everywhere I go. Recently, a nice guy let me drive a 1982 Dodge 400 Convertible. It ran pretty well considering it sat for years, but was started every couple weeks. The minute I pulled the sun visor down, it desintegrated and chunks fell in my face. Just recently I drove an 84 New Yorker that started overheating and smoking severly. From this point forward, however, to protect us and the club, I will bring a one sheet of paper releasing us from any liability, including when good folks like Bill Baier give freely of their time to help people with car repairs. I don't want anybody to ever get in trouble for good intentions.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 am

Should have told me, It's like 5 min from my parents house, 20 min from my father's shop and 40 min from my house. I go to that diner all the time. Never dealt with that gas station since it is literally the most expensive gas in a 50 mile radius. Let me know next time you're in the area!
MyDodgeDip

Previous

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects