New member from Canada here

A place for new members to introduce themselves and submit their requests.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Forum rules
Before posting here, post over at Suggestions and Comments to start a CKCC project.

New member from Canada here

Postby wjames000 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello all. I'm Wanda from the Ottawa area of Ontario, Canada. I've had my 1986 Aries for 2 years now. It's a burgundy 4dr with burgundy cloth interior. Only has power steering and brakes, and basic AM/FM radio, no power package and no A/C. I bought it from the original owner, literally a little old lady- met her, met her family- very sweet. They babied the car, it had 50,000Km on it when I bought it, and they gave me all its service records and owner's manual plus a cloth car cover for it. Since I've had it, I've had a few problems- the worst was when it overheated and warped the head, so I've had a new one put in- also new gas tank, radiator, battery, hoses, belts, themostat and partial exhaust. It's also had both rocker panels done professionally.

The car is in really nice shape and people are always stopping me to comment on it. I love driving it- the visibility and comfort are awesome. I bought it because my parents had the first Reliant out in 1981- a little light blue on blue model, with standard steering! I just loved that little car. It sat like a little tank on the highway, and would go through unbelievable amounts of snow. And I could reverse almost as fast as I could drive ahead : ). They called their car The Peanut- and now that it's long gone, I've named mine The Peanut too.

I'm enjoying reading all the Kcar stories. Thanks.
BTW, I've had a sticking heater control cable and I managed to free it up. I took photos of the area where the cable opens the heater door under the dash if anyone would like them.
wjames000

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries

Re: New member from Canada here

Postby Pete in NH » Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi Wanda,

Welcome to the club and thank you for sharing your K car stories. Your 86 sounds like a very nice little car and glad to hear you enjoy it very much. Yes, they are great little cars and they certainly do have unique personalities. It's too bad newer cars seem to lack any uniqueness these days, they all seem all look the same. It sounds like they use a lot of salt on the roads up there as they do here and it's really very hard on our cars. My 86 Reliant is one of the very few survivors around and it too is going to need new rocker panels.

Again, welcome and feel free to post any questions you might have along the way to keep your car running great.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby wjames000 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome. I will be interested in following the latest, and I will share anything I might learn on my journey!
Best
Wanda
wjames000

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Welcome Wanda,

Canadian K Cars are few and FAR between otherwise it would be a great show to get us all together.
I have been driving mine for 25 years and have 115,000 Km now and have had very few problems along the way. They last a long time when stored for the winter in this part of the country , I am ready to get mine out of it's winter barn this week,,,now the weather should be good for top down cruising.

Cheers

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby wjames000 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks Martin. What a beauty yours is! You know, I've always wanted a convertible and have never even had a ride in one. There's just something about the white ones too---. I have a long history of Chryslers in my family. I had a great aunt who used to come up from Michigan in the summers of the 1960s with her latest car. They were always huge and white, I think there was a an Imperial and a big Dodge Monaco- can't really remember too much else, but they looked so cool.

Yesterday I had 2 people come up to the car and admire it. I get such a kick out of their reactions. You just don't see them anymore. There's one other here in Ottawa I know about, and one in the country near my parents' farm, but it's parked and I don't know what state it's in.

Speaking of states, I'm not in a very good one myself. Unfortunately, my health is failing right now and I'm not sure how long I'll be driving. I've got severe rheumatoid arthritis, so bad they give me chemo drugs to treat it, which I've just had this week so I'm feeling a bit poorly right now. I hope they can stop the damage from going any further, already have 3 artificial joints and counting : ). I don't think I'm ready to retire at age 50. Yikes!

Hope you enjoy your baby this summer - weather is so unpredictable these days- only 52 degrees here this morning...
Wanda
wjames000

Return to Welcome. Introduce yourself and the car.