I need some help.

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: I need some help.

Postby Quickmr2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Ok, I would like to replace the cluster to get it working again, but I don't have an endless pocket of money, so if it i a lot to replace it then I will have to wait. Still good idea to have part number so when I replace it will be easier to find. When I look in the door and hit the window switch I don't see anything moving, but I hear the motor trying to work. it is as loud as it always was. The motor on the car is a 2.2 Turbo, and the timing is at 18deg, when it should be at 12 deg. What do I need to disconnect to do the timing on it. Also where is it located? The car has been sitting for a little over ten years. It was my wife's grandfathers, but he left to live in the Philippines like 10 years ago. The power loss light only comes on after like 30 mins of driving it. So, I can only do the trouble code if it is actually lit up right? I will, let you guys know as soon as I can get the code. prob later today.
Quickmr2

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler LeBarron Convertible Turbo

Postby Dodge Aries K » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Why do you want to replace the cluster? Are the gauges not working or is it because the buttons on it aren't functioning?
Dodge Aries K

Postby Quickmr2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm

The buttons are not working, that's why.
Quickmr2

Postby Quickmr2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:34 pm

ok trouble codes. Wow his is a dooosy. Here is the count. 1 5 2 1 2 2 4 5 5 4 5 5. Can you guys help me with this? Is this multiple problems? Thanks :)
Quickmr2

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi,

Sounds like a nice car, convertable with a 2.2 turbo.

Yes, looks like from all those codes something isn't quite right and is likely why your have emissions problems. Go to http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html for an explanation of the codes and possible causes. Looks like you have codes 15, 21, 22, 45 and 54. The 55 is an end of test code. I would try setting the timing back to 12 degrees and see if that eliminates some of the codes. To time the engine you will need a timing light. first disconnect the coolant temp. sensor on the right side of the thermostat housing. Then connect the timing light to #1 spark plug ( the first one on the passenger side of the engine). start the engine and aim the light at the slit in the top of the bell housing. Loosen the distributor hold down clamp and rotate as required to get the timing mark at 12 degrees. I do this with the engine off and rotate slightly and retighten the clamp. much safer that way.

Code 21= an oxygen sensor issue, bad sensor or wiring
Code 22= coolant sensor issue, again bad sensor or wiring
Code 45 = turbo boost limit exceeded
Code 54 = No fuel injection sync pickup signal- the system goes into limp home mode and guesses at timing.

You might only need a new sensor or two and a good tune up to set things right. Also, check the connectors going into the power module behind the battery. make sure they are clean and fully seated. Like wise the coonectors on the engine control module behind the front kick panel on the passenger side.

I'll do some reseach on the dash digital module and get back to you with a part number.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Dodge Aries K » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Don't replace the gauge cluster because of those buttons not working. It's a very common issue. You can send it out to have the buttons redone or do what most do and not worry about it. When I have more free time I will try to find the info about fixing those buttons.
Dodge Aries K

Postby Quickmr2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Wow! You guys are great I wish I could help ya'll out if I could. I will definitely do this. Also, yes it is a nice car. Great shape too. no body damage, just faded paint. It does need a new top, but when done She will be awesome again. About the Over Boosting part, is there a way to reset it? Or is it a sensor I need to replace for that? Thank you all for all your time. I will post a link to picks when she is not so shy. :)
Quickmr2

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 am

Here is a link on Turbo Dodge Forum on a button repair on an 86 Dodge Digital Dash. I'm not sure if it relevant to your button problem.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14 ... gital.html
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi,

The part number i get from the parts books for 85 on the dash instrument cluster is 4312770 without tach and 4312771 with tach. These are for plain LeBarons not the GTS. As is sometimes the case the parts books are not as clear as you would like them on applications or descriptions so you might want to get a photo of any potental replacement to make sure it's the right part.

Arizona Parts lists both part numbers but they are rather pricey. If you can find a way to fix the buttons on yours that would be the way to go.

Good luck.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Quickmr2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:20 pm

So I am trying to locate on the motor where the coolant sensor is located, and cant find it. As far as google goes, they just want to sell them not locate it on the motor. Does anyone know where it is? I think the o2 is on the top of the Cat. Thanks
Quickmr2

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects