86 Chrysler Executive Limousine/ No ignition

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

86 Chrysler Executive Limousine/ No ignition

Postby BerlinGuy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:02 am

Hello everybody!

I am desperate and need help with my Executive Limousine.

It began three month ago when I was driving in a parking garage. Suddenly the engine stopped running after driving around a sharp corner. All starting attempts failed. No ignition. The car workshop has checked all cables and replaced the ignition coil, Hall effect sensor and the engine control unit but nothing. Still no ignition. The fuel pump works and every other part as well and there is voltage to the ignition coil. But no spark.
Some weeks before the car broke down I discovered that the cruise control doesn't work. Is there maybe a connection between both systems. Or are there any hidden fuses or sensors which may be responsible for the failure?

I am at my wits end and I hope you can help me.
BerlinGuy

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Executive Limousine, 2.2l turbo

Re: 86 Chrysler Executive Limousine/ No ignition

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Did you check for stored fault codes? 1986 has two computers - did you check/replace both and check the connectors and various grounds? Timing belt good as indicated by distributor rotor rotating when you crank? Does it try to fire at all even for a second or two? Do you have a factory service manual set?

You might find some useful information on these site to help your troubleshooting
http://www.minimopar.net/index.html

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sensors ... tdown.html
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby BerlinGuy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 am

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I have already forwarded it to my mechanic.

Where is the second computer (ECU?) located? I know only of the one beside the battery.
And no, it doesn't fire at all. Not a single spark. The coil seems to fail getting the signal for firing.

I have tried to check the fault codes but the system doesn't react.
BerlinGuy

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:37 pm

The Logic computer is probably in the passenger side kick pad area. See link.
http://minimopar.net/ecu/index.html

Also make sure that the coil to center cap ignition wire is good; I once had one center wire fail completely that killed spark. I also had a bad connector on the engine wiring side of the hall effect sensor pickup that killed spark intermittently. Also, don't always assume that the "new" replacement parts are good. Sometimes with old cars you end up with an old stock part that has been returned by a customer and is really no good. You might want to try another hall effect sensor - if all the control signals to the sensor are good and it still will not fire. Also check all grounds.

Its a bad sign that your computer is not responsive to the fault codes. You should be able to at get a response - even if you have no stored failures you should get 55. (Either with the key test or with a code reader tool.) I think the 86-87 cars had some ground problems with the logic computer - you might want to try checking its ground.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:56 pm

These Mopar dealer service manuals are very useful and good to have for troubleshooting - if your mechanic does not have online access to the same information online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Chrysler-W ... 23&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Chrysler-F ... af&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Chrysler-M ... 92&vxp=mtr
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Postby BerlinGuy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:48 pm

We have replaced the new parts with the old parts and it's still the same. But I have forwarded the information about the logic module to my mechanic. Let's wait and see what's happening.
I guess the service manual "wiring diagrams" would be the most helpful at the moment. I have just bought it on ebay. Btw the shipping fees from the US to Germany are ridiculous. :o
BerlinGuy

Postby BerlinGuy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi there,

I'm still struggling with my Executive Limousine but I'm pretty sure the problem is a short cut located somewhere on the way to the logic module in the circuits N5, N6, N7 or maybe Y7. Circuit J2 is okay but Z1 doesn't work since the ASD relais is not closing. Apparently the logic module is not seeing a signal from the hall sensor pickup.
But what puzzles me most is that the battery is loosing power overnight and even worse the logic module is not responding to my DRB II. I have two modules and two DRB and none of them is communicating with each other. I have tested both DRB on my Dodge 600 and they work perfectly. My question is now if anybody is having an idea why both of my logic modules fail to respond. Is it a matter of power?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom
BerlinGuy

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi
With all the problems you have I would do a complete and thorough check of all the splices and wiring between the diagnostic connector (which ties in to at least five splices) logic module and the power module! Your factory wiring diagram manual will show you where all the splices are located. I would also pay special attention to the connectors for the logic module, power module and from the main harness to the engine (located near the battery tray directly above the transmission). You'll have to go pin by pin and wire by wire. I would also suggest that at each connector "wiggle" the wire at each pin while monitoring it with a meter to ensure continuity! I had to deal with a 1981 Chrysler Imperial that would run for a few days or up to a week and then suddenly stop running, it would loose the complete dash display etc. I literally went through that car wire by wire and I found the problem but that's what it took!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby BerlinGuy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. Today I checked several wires with the help of the 1986 Driveability Test Procedure which is extremely helpfull and ... I found something! The Y7 circuit seems to have a short cut. There's current of 8 volts at the connector terminal 2 of the distributor sync pickup but no current at the logic module connector. Tomorrow i will try to bypass that wire (tan with yellow tracer) and see what is happening then.

But then there was something very confusing. In test number 15 step A (checking for code 88- system power circuit for the 5 volt supply) I was asked to connect a voltmeter to cavity No. 1 of the logic module red connector and ground and then to turn the ignition switch to the run position. But this cavity is empty. There's no wire. I 've checked this in the view of the connector assignment and there is no wire shown and cavity No. 1 is empty. But why? Does anybody know the reason?
BerlinGuy

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car