I need advice changing motor mounts on 86 Reliant

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

I need advice changing motor mounts on 86 Reliant

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:32 am

Ok I need to replace the front bottom motor mount and top transmission mount on my 1986 Reliant 2.2 SE Wagon. It's an automatic. I've already replaced the front right top motor mount. It took a while with inadequate tools but I got it done. Now I have to change the lower front motor mount and the top transmission mount. I'm wondering is it going to be too difficult to do by myself? Where do I need to position the jack to make it easier to remove and install the bottom front motor mount? The replacement motor mount looks like just a square of rubber. Is it going to be easy to transfer over to the original motor mount bracket. I have an 86 Chrysler factory service manual but it doesn't really go into detail on how to change it.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: I need advice changing motor mounts on 86 Reliant

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:55 am

I supported the engine and trans assembly at the transmission bellhousing. I made a cradle for the bottom of the bellhousing out of wood for the top of the floor jack pad. Once supported I just unbolted and reinstalled etc. the mount at the top of the trans is a bit of a pain because the bolts come in from the side where the mount attaches to the top of the trans. I did those with an offset box end wrench. The lower front is easier if you remove the radiator cooling fan. Once the mounts are installed do not remove the support but adjust it so the engine weight is just removed from the mounts. This is so you can properly adjust the driveaxle lengths which you have to recheck and adjust any time the mounts are replaced. Thats done by loosening the right mount adjuster (verticle bolt). If you don't have the axle shaft lengths let me know but identify your axles first as their is a difference between GKN , ACI and Citroen.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:27 am

I'm going to try and have someone help me on the front and transmission mount. Where's the vertical adjustment bolt? Is that the timing belt side motor mount? I changed that already. I remember seeing something in the factory service manual about adjusting the motor mounts. I bought the front bottom motor mount. All it is a little square rubber block. Will I be able to tell how it goes in when I get the old one off? This looks like an insert mount but how does it insert? I haven't even checked closely at the cv axles. I don't know what manufacturer they are. All I know is that this wagon has the standard brakes and standard duty suspension. 9.5 front rotors 5 lug and 7 7/8 rear brake shoes. They are clean and not making any noise. In fact everything under the car is good except the exhaust all the way back has normal rust. But I fixed the broken tailpipe section with a new piece. It's a whole lot quieter now. If that catalytic converter ever has to be replaced I'm sure every bolt will snap off.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:12 am

The verticle bolts are on the timing belt side mount (right) the mount has slotted ears so it can move from side to side. I guess they've cheaped out on the lower centre mount. The last one I bought came from Chrysler and comprised of the whole thing, bracket and all as the rubber is molded to the mount...It sounds what they provide now is just the rubber so you'll have to eviscerate the old mount and push the new "block" into the square bracket opening ,there must be some means of securing the block , perhaps with RTV around the outside prior to pushing it into the bracket.
With regards to the axles, they are identified by the number and spacing of the convolutions on the rubber boot of the inner and outer CV joints. If you ever had to replace boots this question would come up. As an example my '85 has GKN and my '82 uses Citroen...different axles different boots. You said you had the factory service manual..check section 2 of the chassis book their should be a part called "driveshafts" in that section the book shows you how to identify your axles.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:42 pm

I looked at the lower front motor mount today. It looks easy enough to get off. I'm just worried about getting it on. All I got was a rubber square insert mount. It was less than $1! It has instructions on how to install it into the original bracket. You have to bend the tabs on it to secure it to the bracket. But I don't know if I should leave the original mount there or try this new one. Once I start I'll have to go through with it.
1p3bp

Postby mkjohnson39 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:18 pm

If you have a vibration after installation loosen all of the mounts and let it idle for 15-20 minutes and retighten the bolts.
mkjohnson39

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant 1986

Postby 1p3bp » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:09 pm

It seems pretty severe especially with a/c on. Someone posted a link about the proper way to install the front lower mount. The picture is kinda confusing in the link because it doesn't show the way the insert is positioned as if the mount was bolted on. I couldn't just go by the way it came out because there was nothing left of my old one when I got it off. So I still could have the insert facing the wrong way. Now it's hard to tell with it bolted on.
1p3bp

Return to Technical Support