1984 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo fuel pressure

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1984 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo fuel pressure

Postby 1955racing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:14 am

Hello, new guy here. Thanks for letting me bring my question. Just aquired a nice T&C convertible that has been stored in a garage since its owner passed some time ago. Supposedly had stabilizer in the fuel, smells OK so at this point I'll assume it's OK. Shot a bit of mystery oil in top cyls and let it sit a day. Put in a new battery, changed oil and it turns over nicely. Will run smoothly with starting fluid but not by itself. Fuel comes out of pressure test Port but not with great volume or pressure when cranking. There is no distinguishable reading on borrowed gauge if its working correctly. What next? Any other checks before I condemn pressure regulator or pump? I kind of thought a pump was good or bad, never experienced a weak one before. Thanks in advance for any help. Looking forward to Sunday drives with the top dropped!
1955racing

Car Information: 84 labaron town and country convertible

Re: 1984 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo fuel pressure

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi
This might sound dumb but is the pump running...can you hear it?? It sounds as though the ASD relay is functioning as you have spark since the ASD relay provides Voltage to the injectors, the fuel pump and the ignition coil. The fuel pressure for the Multipoint system should be around 55 psi. The fuel pressure regulator is a pretty reliable piece ...what about the filter...etc.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1955racing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Not dumb. Thanks for the reply I believe the pump is fine I unhook the hose at the rail supply and get good fuel and pressure while cranking. I can feel it when I try to hold it back with my thumb. When all is hooked up I have no distinguishable pressure at the test port. Could the regulator be not letting it build? Could one or more injectors be stuck open? This car has been sitting. Runs smooth briefly with a shot of starting fluid. Thank you for your thoughts.
1955racing

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi
With all due respect , a little commentary here...if you can hold back the fuel pressure coming directly from the pump I would think you don't have enough pressure at all... 55 psi is a lot of pressure, try to hold back water flowing at your household 40 psi coming out of a 3/8" hose or pipe you may be able to divert it but you won't stop it , you'll just get wet!
If you could fabricate a fuel rail adapter so you can attach your pressure gauge directly to the fuel rail supply hose that would certainly tell you what you actually have. Just a thought....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1955racing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Oh, I can't hold it back! It sprays! I have ordered a regulator, but do you think if I deadhead the return and try to start it, it would make too much pressure and damage the injectors? If it ran, wouldn't this verify the reg was bad?
1955racing

Postby 1955racing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:50 pm

I should say, I need to borrow the gauge when I need it.dont own one, yet! When I depressed the test Port a little fuel comes out.
1955racing

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:31 am

Well deadheading the fuel rail would certainly allow the pressure to come up and if the injectors are all working the engine should run...the pump will do more than 55 psi ...the question is what damage if any would occur to the injectors. I've never dead headed a Multipoint injector system so this is unknown territory. Personally I am the cautious type especially when waking up an engine that's been slumbering for a considerable period so I'd wait for the regulator and install it first.
What I would do too if you have one or can get one is take a Digital voltmeter with a frequency function (Fluke 87 or equivalent) and check the injectors while cranking just to see if they are pulsing. Just another thing to do...if it starts and runs after the regulator install forget I said anything... ;)
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1955racing » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:16 am

Yeah, thanks there Kwagon. I too side with caution, and will be patient. Just curious and kind of like a kid again and would like to see it run. At least all the tinkering is topside and before I have to crawl my creaky old body underneath for anything, I'd like for it to run so I can drive it up on ramps! Thanks for your opinion and I'll let you know how it turns out.
1955racing

Postby 1955racing » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Ok so here is where we are, removed the fuel rail all the injectors are clean new o'rings function properly with test voltage put in the new regulator new hoses. Now I get some sputtering but wont run check fuel pressure again has barely over 20 psi I cannot find any visible leaks. Is it time to condemn the pump and replace it or is there something else I can check? How about it kwagon? What do you think?
1955racing

Postby 1955racing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:43 am

Well, pulled out the pump and the hanger assembly was pretty well falling apart rubber pieces were melted mush, metal parts rusted terribly. Pretty much fell apart in my hands. Can't imagine what would have caused this, fuel additive maybe, just sitting up maybe? Pump was kind of loud I think because the rubber isolator it sits in was well, mostly melted away. I'm sure it was loosing its pressure through the short piece of connector hose that was melted as well. Cleaned out the tank though it really didn't have any junk in there. This was an Airtex unit, going to replace it with a Bosch unit,found one local.I think we will be on the road soon!
1955racing

Next

Return to Info and Forum Help