Turn Sig Indicators On Dash Don't Light Up

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Turn Sig Indicators On Dash Don't Light Up

Postby james35 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Hello, thanks for being out there for those who own Chrysler K cars. I have an 89 Aries and the turn signal indicators on the dash do not illuminate even tho the turn signals and hazard lights work on the outside the car. I found the wire routing to the printed circuit card connectors for both the left and right side however, I am not sure where these connectors are hiding so I can test the voltage when the outer signals are working. I am sure that both left and right indicator lights are not burnt out so need to know if anyone knows where these connectors are located. If they are under the dash, then I guess I will have to pull it to fix the problem. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks for listening.
james35

Car Information: Dodge, Aries, 1989

Re: Turn Sig Indicators On Dash Don't Light Up

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:10 am

Hi
I don't own an '89 but with my '85 (virtually the same dash as your '89) there are two 25 way connectors, one at the steering column(column to instrument panel) and the other is at the the lower left side of the dash board (instrument panel to body ). Those two along with the printed circuit board connectors behind the cluster are it (save for the main harness connector at the firewall) I had a few problems with my dash lights and it turned out to be the sockets themselves not making contact with the printed circuit traces , some cleaning with fine scotchbrite and I was back in business.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby james35 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Kwagon2 thanks for the post, it was most appreciated and will make the job more easier than thought.

The 89 has low miles (90 K) and runs great after I put another computer in it. Now, I have a problem with the rear window defroster. I have changed the panel (lower dash) that contains the defroster push rocker switch and I think that is a timer "something" that switches off the defroster. But, after a few replacements, it doesn't seem to work. The rocker switch and timer seem to quit after I replaced them. But I am sure I can figure another way to turn on and off the defroster manually.

Thanks again for your help.

James35
james35

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi
Just a further suggestion to your rear window defog problem....bench test your switches before condemning them.
Its easy, apply 12volts to terminals "B" and "I" and ground "G". Turn the switch "on" the Led should illuminate and you should have 12 volts at "L" , turning the switch "Off" will extinguish the led and you will not have 12volts at "L". The timer is set for 10 minutes so even without the load of the rear window grid the led will stay lit and "L" will be energized for that time period. If your switches are good then either you've lost the supply to the switch or the ground is gone .
The window grids do sometimes develop "opens". We used to fix that with a conductive type of epoxy , Chrysler offered it as a kit P/N 4267922. I haven't looked for it in a while but the aftermarket may have an equivalent.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby james35 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:29 am

Hello All. I apologize for being away so long since the last post.

I finally got back to the 89 Aries Turn Sig Indicatiors on "Dash that don't light up" post. After re-checking the Hanes manual, wiring diagrams & etc. I found that the dash lights may be burned out but didn't think both right and left would occur the same time thereby causing all kinds of other checking. I finally decided to pull the Cluster since the manual stated that it was necessary to replace any bad lights. Well. after removing the lower and upper panels, I removed the four screws to remove the cluster and found that there was absolutely no room to move it forward to remove the left and right connectors to the printed circuit cards on the back of the cluster. I had to reach behind and pull each of the connector wires forward to get a little play so the cluster could be moved enough to get hands on the connectors and wiggle them enough to get them loose. I was able to find an older Aries in a junk yard and had some experience in moving the cluster there but it came out a lot farther to reach the connectors which I thought would work here as well - no no. Then, there was the speedometer cable. The junk yard Aries had just an electrical attachment that pulled right out, but mine was actually a speedometer cable. I was told that the 89 did not use an actual cable but like the Junk yard car. Well, I finally was able to push the locking clip and release the speedometer cable. After checking many lights and finding half a dozen burned out, I replaced them then worked to put the cluster back in. It was easier than I thought due to the little extra room by pulling the cables out so had room to attach the connectors. And since the speedometer cable was fixed tight in one position, I just centered the cable end to the cluster receptacle and ergo, it fit. I was really worried that putting it back would be nearly impossible but it worked out ok. Except, when all was done, the turn signal indicators worked great (the whole problem was that they were burned out) but, I found out now that the gas gauge is stuck below the empty mark even thought the tank is nearly full.

Now, I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. I do think that I probably will need to go through the whole process of removing the lower and upper panels and the cluster but still have no idea what I did to cause the fuel guage to lock in a minus condition. Somewhere it mentioned grounding the cluster might resolve the problem & I will try that first but if anyone has any idea what might work, I would be very happy to hear your solution.

Sorry for the long dissertation but I felt that one shouldn't have to go through all of this just to change some dash bulbs - bad design.

Thanks for listening and hope someone has some suggestions.

James35
james35

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:44 am

Hi
With regards to the fuel gauge, you may have dislodged a circuit board connector pin in your efforts to remove/ replace the cluster. Normally both the gauge cluster and the speedo can be serviced without pulling the cluster. Once the bezel and mask are removed you can remove the gauge cluster retaining screws (8mm hex head screw just on the outside of the gauge cluster) and the gauge cluster can be pulled straight out of the cluster housing. Once that is done you'll see a number of pins , one is the voltage supply , one is a ground, and one is the resistive input from the tank sender. (see diagram). Check values with a meter to see whats missing.
The "grounding" the cluster bit is not valid as the cluster is all plastic and an "operational" ground is brought up to each gauge in the gauge cluster. 'K!
Attachments
kfuel.jpg
kfuel.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 9489 times
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I assume that the fuel gauge worked correctly before the repair for the lights. If you are not sure then check the fuel gauge ground wire by the tank or the tank fuel gauge unit. Both are common failure problems
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Return to Info and Forum Help