1985 caravan woody

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1985 caravan woody

Postby cbr63 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi all. I have a '85 caravan LE window van in Cali that i'm looking to sell. I put in a new 2.6 motor/carb and gas tank couple of years ago. The engine has approx 15k on it since it was installed and runs strong. As a DIY type, I also have oodles of maintenance & misc. parts (brake shoes/pads, plugs, filters) to go with it. I was actually using it as a cargo van for work but still have all the rear seating in great shape for a passenger conversion. It was decided a pick up truck would better serve me for work, so i'm having to say goodbye to this iconic vehicle. It has served me well over the last 20 years and I know there still ALOT more life in this vehicle. I did have a snafu with getting her smogged due to a vacuum leak somewhere in the evap system. I just have way to many cars and not enough time to trouble shoot this vacuum problem. The state of California desperately wants this car OFF the road, and I don't want to give them that satisfaction. anyone interested? I have plenty of pics-LMK and thank-you.
cbr63

Car Information: 1985 dodge caravan

Re: 1985 caravan woody

Postby 89ARIES » Wed May 11, 2016 7:50 am

I am interested, but more than that, I want to see you beat the Kalifornia Smog Nazis. Call my friend, Jesus Corral, at 818-775-5722, and your car is guaranteed to pass. He knows
the perfect smog guy. Also, please email me pictures to chryslerkcarclub@gmail.com
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby cbr63 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly with some info. I'll give Jesus a call.... do I mention the club or you to your friend?
It would be nice to have it back on the road as long as were not talking big $$ to make it happen.
I have sent pictures of the van and my contact information to you through your email.
cbr63

Postby cbr63 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Update-
So I got the evap leak problem solved. Turns out there was a leak on the top of the fuel tank, which I dropped and repaired, so thats done.
Contacted the referral Jesus to handle the high NOX problem. Really nice guy, but not the guy who i though would actually be doing the work or diagnosis. He put me in contact with his next door neighbor there at the garage area. Guy named "Hammer".
Hammer took a looksy around and pulled vacuum on some of the lines & did some futzing with EGR hoses and such. Told me it would pass now.
He was so confident...He "Guaranteed" it, actually. Although he 's got the testing machine there...the vehicle never got hooked up to check any results. I had to go spend another 50+ Bucks to have it tested just to see where things were at.
Ran it though @ star testing place, but to no avail the NoX did not make it. It was close, just slightly over the limit but not there.
Hammer was able to bring it down by over 50%!!.. I returned to the garage to show Hammer the testing results of the emissions test.
He said I should a wait couple of days to do any retesting and to return on the coming saturday for him to look at it again. Well I returned on saturday as requested & waited & waited & waited just around 3 hours until he said after quickly checking the timing, he couldn't do no more.
So needless to say, I'm back to the drawing board in pursuit of getting this vehicle to pass. Are there anymore leads?...from anybody?
cbr63

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi
If the Nox is up then I'd go back and recheck the operation of the EGR , Nox is dependent on combustion chamber temperature if its to high you'll get more Nox . The EGR helps to reduce combustion chamber temps , there are other factors as well if the engine is running too lean , timing is another factor but you mentioned that that was rechecked. If you could get the fuel mixture adjusted while attached to an exhaust gas analyser that would be the cats meow.
I'm assuming that the smog check standard only requires the car to meet the exhaust emissions for the particular model year of the car....is that correct??
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Buy and sell a Classic K-car