1987 Chrysler LeBaron Warm Motor Stall

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1987 Chrysler LeBaron Warm Motor Stall

Postby threex5x7 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:42 am

Hello and thanks in advance for the help!

I have recently purchased a 1987 LeBaron with a 2.5 Liter motor.

The seller told me that when the motor is warm the motor will die, and I have now experienced the problem three times.

Here’s what I know: After about 30 minutes of running the motor will die. The motor will not restart for about 30 minutes. I have had this problem occur once on the freeway and twice in town.

There is no fault or trouble code on the information center when the car shuts down.

I can restart the motor with starting fluid, but the motor will not keep running on it's own. Once the motor has cooled, it will restart and keep running....this takes about 30-45 minutes.

I think the problem is fuel system related.

The previous owner sold the car because of this issue, but before he sold it to me he put a new fuel pump and filter (from a shop) on the car, and the problem is still there.
Any advice?

Here’s what I’m thinking: Whatever is causing the car to shut down is not causing any kind of fault code with the onboard ‘computer’. So the car thinks things are ‘normal’.

What happens when the motor is hot/heat soaked that could cause the fuel system to shut down without any fault code?

The car runs and starts normally when cold. The acceleration is normal until the car stalls out…then it will stumble and die with very little warning.

Could a faulty fuel pressure regulator on the throttle body cause this fault?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!!

Bobby
threex5x7

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler LeBaron

Re: 1987 Chrysler LeBaron Warm Motor Stall

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi
Not sure what to tell you about this problem but it does sound like its fuel system related, My experience with 1987 and later TBI engines is limited. I had a similar problem but it ended up being the distributor pick-up(no codes). On another the car would run for 15 minutes flat and then quit...that one turned out to be the MAP sensor.
I will mention that you should take it easy on the starting fluid, that stuff is intended to start Diesels in super cold weather and is very hard on small engines!
If you have access to a scanner the '87 model year has an expanded "switch test" and "engine running test" regimen which will allow you to check all inputs to the Logic module etc. and may help.

The links below will take you to an excellent website full of great info specific to the front drive Chrysler product control systems....

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fuelsystem.html
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby Cehowski » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:39 pm

I just purchased an 85 2.2L non-Turbo. The first night I had it out, I felt what I thought was a stall, while going maybe 30 mph, with very little gas pedal pressure. When I felt what I thought was the stall, I stepped on the gas a bit, and it kept running. I wasn't sure if I imagined the stall or not. The next night, after about a 1 hour ride, the same thing happened, but this time, giving it a bit more gas only got it going again for about 10 seconds, then it died. I was able to start it, but it would not stay running. A few minutes later, I started it, but it died when I put it in gear. Finally, after about 20-30 minutes, I was able to start it, and it stayed running, and I drove home (thankfully only a few miles). The previous owner said they had put in a timing belt, and had put Sea Foam in the current tank of gas (which was about 3/4 full)

Since then, I have had it out several times, for more than an hour, and the stall has not happened. I am still a bit leery though. I did refill the tank at about 1/2 tank. In doing some research on stalling/idling issues, it seemed like I should try the pickup coil (Hall Effect module) and the MAP sensor (same items Kwagon2 mentioned). I have ordered them but they have not yet come in. Mine did throw a MAP sensor code after the second stall, and a couple of days later, I checked codes again (just for the heck of it), and I also saw a 15 (Speed/Distance sensor?) code.

KWagon2 - does this sound at all like your situation? As I mentioned, it almost seems OK now, but I'm still not confident. I'm still going to replace the MAP sensor and the Pickup (Hall Effect) coil, when they come in, but if anyone has any other thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them.
Cehowski

Car Information: Chrysler LeBaron 1985

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 pm

When the car stalls (dies) is it in stop and go traffic. If you have a dirty throttle body or other issues with the throttle body, the car may stall in stop and go traffic when the engine is warm and the amount of fuel being supplied is relatively low. The amount of fuel during idle being injected varies as a function of temperature and the computer model. In addition, the amount of fuel injected as a "prime" when starting the car varies significantly based on the engine temperature. So if the car stalls when hot, it may be very difficult to restart it while still hot. When it cools off the amount of prime fuel increases again.

It could also be other electrical issues, like a connection becoming intermittent when hot or the sensor in the distributor not working when hot.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car