New head but rough idle, stalling, low power continues

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

New head but rough idle, stalling, low power continues

Postby abgwin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:23 am

Acquired an 87 Town & Country with 2.2 turbo 1. Was sitting at a mechanic's where previous owner had brought it in for rough idle, power loss and tendency to stall after another shop had replaced timing belt. Mechanic tells me it's a bent valve due to timing belt (!) so I send head off to be rebuilt. Turns out to be cracked, so acquire a complete head.

Now that it's installed and timed according to factory manual, I'm still getting a rough idle, less power than I expect and frequent stalling. I've double checked the vacuum lines, replaced plugs, wires, rotor/cap, coil, fuel filter.

I replaced the temp sensor (two wire one in waterbox near thermostat) bit still don't get cooling fan to cycle (though I can force it on by turning on A/C or unplugging temp sensor) and I still need to replace temp sender for gauge (single wire).

What am I missing? What else can I do to get this car running?
abgwin

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler Town & Country 2.2 Turbo 1

Re: New head but rough idle, stalling, low power continues

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 am

I have a feeling you got ripped off $4000 by an incompetent mechanic.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: New head but rough idle, stalling, low power continues

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi
Do you have any fault codes?? ( In order to retrieve them you can cycle the ignition switch three times leaving it on on the last cycle & count the flashes on the Power Loss light) .
I've had a similar problem that turned out to be a faulty Logic module but that's generally a last resort.
Get the fault codes(if any) and we'll go from there.
A simple check you can do is have a look at the EGR valve a bypassing EGR valve will give you a bad idle etc.
Consider that your engine is a Multi point fuel injected job so anything that would affect the "Thinking" of the control unit or a defect in the application of the pulse width signal can give you a bad idle and low power as the injector "pulse widths" change according to engine demands. Everything from Dirty injectors to the MAP sensor.....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car