Need some help

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Need some help

Postby cald600 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:16 am

One more thing I did try for fun was the old cigar smoke trick to see if there was any leaks. And it did leak out quite a bit around the throttle body under the AIS. I was thinking it was maybe a vacuum leak
cald600

Car Information: D600 convertable

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:13 pm

cald600 wrote:So is the EGR on the throttle body? Looks like a small round can?

Hi
No what you're probably looking at is the fuel pressure regulator , the EGR is under the intake manifold all you'll see by just looking past the air box is the back pressure transducer clipped to the side of the intake manifold. There should be a description and an illustration in your service manual. Its job is to divert exhaust gases back into the intake manifold for reburning to reduce combustion chamber temps and the production of oxides of Nitrogen.
If you still have Vacuum leaks its mandatory to repair them before you can go on! The throttle body has to be tight!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby cald600 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Ok I'll give it all a shot.
cald600

Postby cald600 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Messed with it again today took care of all vacuum leaks . Checked all connections cleaned all grounds. Ran beautifully for about ten minutes. Then shut off, this time when I got it back started it would not stay running at all. It is almost as if the system is loosing fuel pressure. But it's a brand-new pump, but I definitely have to cycle the key once or twice and listen for the pump to kick on two or three times and then I will start almost like I have to prime the system again. Runs an then shuts off. I think I'm almost done just might donate this old girl .
cald600

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi
Well now don't go getting too hasty and send it off to its doom , these little cars are a riot to drive! I personally miss these cars ...I always thought they'd have a consistent following but not so it's like they've been vacuumed from the earth...no Dodge 600's....no Dodge 400's ....LeBarons etc... gone... I know of a few other fellows who still race a couple of Lasers and a GLHS all Turbos all 2.2's ....The Laser can do a 10 sec quarter mile! The 2.2 is like the Slant six one dang fine engine!!
We've been dancing around the throttle body assuming that without the vacuum leaks its doing its job ...sort of .... I can't see this engine's response so I'm doing a whole bunch of guessing here ....I wish I could be there to help directly...as this one is a bit of a head scratcher ..... When you get one of these its frustrating but boy does it feel great when you win...even better when its your own car!!!
Anyhow I guess its time to do a fuel system pressure test , not as simple on these first gen Bosch throttle body units as on the multi point fuel injection , as you need to install a "tee" in the supply line to the throttle body and attach a pressure gauge of at least 100 psi capability. With the first shot the pressure should jump up to approx 35 psi and while the engine is cranked or if it starts should stay there , if its low squeeze the return line to see if it rises , if it does the regulator is defective. If it stays up and the engine still starves the injector itself is defective or the wiring to it etc. Injectors and regulators can still be purchased.....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby cald600 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 pm

OK MY FRIEND!!! I am not sure what I did but I think (and I will stress THINK) its fixed. I have been driving it for 2 days now to work and back. It has not stalled running good timing I think is still a lil off but not bad. I just took throttle body off, un hooked any ground, vacuum line. electrical connection I could find. Cleaned throttle body again, inspected all hoses, cleaned all electrical connections with electrical cleaner,and made every ground connection shine. The very last thing I did was pulled out the ECU main computer in the kick panel area and cleaned those connections made sure MAP sensor was tight. I then disconnected the battery waited a few seconds turned the key and she fired up. Had a high idle for a bit an the settled down. Now has been running ever since. Your right feels real good!!! but not sure what I did that made it work so that's why I say think its fixed.
Now that its been running I can drive and see what else is going on.. there is a definite lope in the idle and a rather big exhaust leak around the catalytic converter, would exhaust leak make for a lot of vibration when idling? or is that timing?
I ask cause when I finally got it running for awhile I loosened the distributor and timed by ear which is a lot better but like I said not were it should be. I have a timing light, but the timing marks are not where I can see them.
Thanks for sticking through this with me its really helped a lot.
cald600

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:34 am

Hi
Well I'm certainly glad that something worked....connectivity issues was most likely the reason that Chrysler moved to create the SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) later on. The exhaust leak would make a bunch of noise and add somewhat to the vibration but not that much. If you're new to the four cylinder world you may not be used to the natural vibration or "shake" that all in-line fours have. Setting the timing to spec should improve it some but there will always be some vibration as the 2.2 design is not inherently balanced which is why the Chrysler 2.5 was designed to use a set of " balance shafts" which smooth the engine right up.
BTW In order to set the timing you have to remove the air box , then you'll see the timing window on top of the bell housing.
I'm glad that my suggestions and some rambling (sorry I do that) helped you in your endeavor lets hope all stays well ....
Take Care!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby cald600 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks Again!! Oh one more question can I delete the EGR on this car? The tube from the EGR to the manifold is were the leak is. Looks like Some tried to JB weld it at one point but doesn't look like it can be repaired with out being a major pain.
cald600

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi
You should be able to get away with it. You can leave the EGR valve where it is and hooked up etc. and see if you can seal the tube end at the valve and of course at the bottom of the intake manifold. That would most certainly help smooth out the idle as the hole in the tube is essentially acting in the same way as a leaking EGR valve, as I described in a previous note...
You may see a fault code 32 but it doesn't do anything the code just sits there in memory ....where it would show up is on an exhaust gas test (sniffer) you wouldn't get full marks.....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby cald600 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks again
cald600

Previous

Return to Info and Forum Help