My K Car doesn't drive forward

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

My K Car doesn't drive forward

Postby BigNate » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Something happened to my transmission. Reverse still engages and drives backwards but drive does not work there for cannot drive forwards. Any ideas y this would happen and what needs to be done to fix it and how much it would cost? My mechanic and my second opinion both said the tranny does not need replacing and only fixing
BigNate

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler K Car Convertible

Re: My K Car doesn't drive forward

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am

Hi
The transmission is a 3 speed Torqueflite either an A-413 (2.2 engine) or an A-470 (2.6engine) Either way transmission operation is identical. The problem for no "Drive" or no forward range is the Rear or Forward Clutch as reverse is activated by the application of the Front or Direct clutch with the Low-reverse band.
The remedy will no doubt require removal of the Transmission and inspection of the Clutch to determine the failure, the reason I say this is the shift mechanism , cable and valve body are fairly reliable and unless something serious has happened to the manual lever on the valve body itself the failure will no doubt be the clutch .....you can go through the motions of draining the trans and removing the oil pan and the valve body in order to do whats known as an "Air pressure test" where you utilize a 35 to 40 psi dry air source to "apply" the individual elements of the transmission by directing this air into the individual ports of each element. This will confirm the failure of the clutch if nothing else as with this test you should hear a dull "thud" with the application of the air if the clutch is still functional. I think I did this once with the first front drive Torqueflite I encountered but future failures always resulted in transmission removal.
You inquire about cost... To repair your trans at the very least you will require a seal and clutch disc kit and depending on the level of failure "hard" parts as required (I specify a Master overhaul kit as once opened you do all the clutches) If the failure has resulted in clutch material contaminating the overall trans (generally the case) the entire transmission will require disassembly and full cleaning including the valve body and the trans cooler in the radiator. The Torque converter will require replacement or rebuilding as nobody "power flushes" them anymore so the only way to remove the contaminants is to cut open the converter etc. In an equipped shop one of these "baby" Torqueflites can easily be done in a day and change so consider a full day and a bit labour and parts which can vary in price somewhat. So worst case scenario....
A "master" overhaul kit includes clutch friction discs , clutch steel plates, sealing rings, lip and running seals, gaskets , can run you about $150 & replace All of the snap rings (another $25-$45) , The bands are inspected but if the budget is tight they can be reused of not worn or burnt. The Torque converter (custom rebuilt) can run about $200approx and as I mentioned labour , no idea what your mech charges if he does Automatics...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby mona's k » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Not sure which was which but I thought early/late K car transmissions had combined or separate fluid reservoirs for the differential/transmission. 1 had 2 places to check fluids, the other style had 1. Only reason I mentioned this is on my '82 the transmission shop could't give me an estimate until he found out what style I had due to the amount of fluid it would take when they serviced it.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Postby Kwagon2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:30 am

Hi
The common sump A-413/A-470 was from 1983 onward all '82's and earlier still had a separate fill requirement for the differential portion of the Transaxle. 82's also require removal of the differential cover to facilitate unlocking of a set of retaining "clips" for drive axle removal. Again, from 1983 onward this too was no longer required as the axles could just be pulled out.
Your transmission dipstick should have had a red plastic warning tag on it to tell you about the separate sump and the need to check differential level separately.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner