To buy or not to buy,this is the question...I NEED HELP PLZ

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

To buy or not to buy,this is the question...I NEED HELP PLZ

Postby LaurentBLux » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello everybody,my name is Laurent I'm 19 and I live in Luxembourg (the country).
I'm thinking of buying an 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe and it'll be my first car. Therefor I wanted to ask some profesionals if there're some particullar problem with those car. I'm really looking forward to your answers and thank you for your help.
Greetings from Luxembourg,

Sincerlly,

Laurent
LaurentBLux

Car Information: No car for the moment but looking to get a LeBaron

Re: To buy or not to buy,this is the question...I NEED HELP PLZ

Postby ReliantLV » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Welcome!! At last, somene closer to where I live! :)

I am sure you'll get some good replies on here about these cars.

Best regards from Lettonie,
Irena
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby Special K » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:35 pm

What motor will it have? I love my 2.2L in my 83 Aries. Very green and decent power for a little 4 banger from the early 80's
90 Mazda RX-7
87 Yamaha Razz
83 Dodge Aries
Special K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Dodge Aries

Postby LaurentBLux » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:38 pm

I don't know yes what engine it has got, I'm going to know it in a few days, immediately when I know it I'm gonna tell you! Thanks for your relplies^^
LaurentBLux

Car Information: No car for the moment but looking to get a LeBaron

Postby rev84600 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 pm

well i love my dodge 600s a great starter car im sure i have 2 one is a 2.6 an ok motor, the other a 2.2 turbo a great motor both have bee dependable good for me :D
rev84600

Car Information: 1984 dodge 600 convertable

Postby Hemi-Dude » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:26 am

LaurentBLux wrote:Hello everybody,my name is Laurent I'm 19 and I live in Luxembourg (the country).
I'm thinking of buying an 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe and it'll be my first car. Therefor I wanted to ask some professionals if there's some particular problem with those car.
I'm really looking forward to your answers and thank you for your help.
Greetings from Luxembourg,

Sincerlly,

Laurent

It should be a great car for you Laurent. Just make sure it is inspected thoroughly, especially the cooling system and that includes inspecting the engine core plugs "freeze plugs" some people call them.
Look for signs of rust coming through them and be sure the cooling system is not rusty. This must be corrected before you buy the car, FOR SURE!
There are many other things to check but this is the #1 thing.
Hemi-Dude

Postby 1of10K » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Welcome to the K Car Club! I would buy that car, they are fun, economical, easy to work on, all the good stuff a car should be!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby guyd_15 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 am

+1 on checking the "freeze plugs" generally they rust on the back side of the engine near the fire wall, so check for coolant leak at the rear of the engine.

As with most cars this old there may be electrical problems. Most problems can be easily corrected by checking and cleaning the ground connections and electrical connectors.

Check the usual items:

remove the oil fill cap with the engine warmed up and running and place your hand over the hole to check for excessive crankcase pressure (could indicate worn piston rings, damaged pistons or possible problem with the crankcase ventilation system) crankcase ventilation system repair cheap, rings or pistons not so cheap.

remove spark plugs should be chocolate colored not oil fouled or white.

automatic transmission check the fluid, should be red, nor brown and smelling burnt

manual transmission check condition of cables and pivot points, a sloppy shifter indicates bad cable bushings, stretched cables or worn pivot points

Check the radiator and coolant reservoir, is the coolant low and what condition, is there oil in the radiator or reservoir bottle? Are there air bubbles in the coolant? these could all indicate a defective cylinder head gasket.

When you test drive it have someone follow you to check for exhaust smoke blue indicates encine wear, after the car is warmed up white indicates coolant problems and black smoke indicates a rich condition (unburned fuel).

Check for rust...no rust repair is ever an easy job!!!!

Hopefully, it's got a turbocharged 2.2 liter engine with 4 wheel disc brakes!!! If so you've have a chance to get a car that'll be fast without spending a bunch of Euros or whatever you guys spend.

Hope this helps,

Guy
guyd_15

Car Information: 1986 GLHT, 1987 Sundance RS, 1988 CSX-T & more

Return to Info and Forum Help