Thinking of buying a k car

Questions and comments from non-members

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: Thinking of buying a k car

Postby 88 aries » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 am

86-89 are good years for daily driver k-cars an for 1985 with the weird TBI set up is good also, they are super reliable accept for a HG now and then, they are a blast to drive with a 2.2 or a 2.5. I dont use mine as dailys, they are my weekend enjoyment cars.
88 aries

Postby 88 aries » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:55 am

Special K wrote:Carb is from 81 to 84 or 85. TBI (Throttle body Injection??) or the cars that have the 2.2L turbo motor. Super rare to find but worth it.

carbed k-cars are 1981-1985 carburated 2.2 came with only the base model, SE or LE models could get the 84-85 bosch TBI set up. and the 2.6 can just rest in peace
88 aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:25 am

88 aries wrote:
Special K wrote:Carb is from 81 to 84 or 85. TBI (Throttle body Injection??) or the cars that have the 2.2L turbo motor. Super rare to find but worth it.

carbed k-cars are 1981-1985 carburated 2.2 came with only the base model, SE or LE models could get the 84-85 bosch TBI set up. and the 2.6 can just rest in peace

The 2.6 can rest in peace? Or do you mean in pieces? JK you left it open for that.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby Butch » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:00 pm

dodge1970 wrote:
88 aries wrote:

The 2.6 can rest in peace? Or do you mean in pieces? JK you left it open for that.

That's good, anything Japenese should be in pieces.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:33 pm

From talking to mechanics and other owners , the 2.6 Mr. Squishy came in 2 versions, one ran forever and the other was forever being peraired.
Looks like I got a good one, so if you find one that is still running well after all these years, it's a keeper.
If I ever run into problems, I think a visit to see our fellow member in Mexico for a chrome replacement would be in order.
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby Baron » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Did the mechanic explain what was the difference between the two 2.6 motors? I must have been lucky. I ran my whole business back then on a small fleet of Dodge D50 pickups, and also bought a new E-Class in '83. All had the 2.6 engines and none of them ever gave me a bit of trouble. The pickups were used and abused hard by my servicemen and they took it all and kept on going. I became fully convinced you would have needed to blast them with dynamite to get them to quit- and even then you'd have to make sure you put the dynamite in the right spot to do the most damage. I am curious what the difference was between the two motors to make them such polar opposites.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby 1of10K » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:57 am

I remember back in '81, I was told by the local Chrysler mechanic to avoid the 2.6 because you have to adjust the tappets/cam followers all the time and the maintenance costs would be alot higher. Also, this dealership had a reputation then for not honoring any warranty work unless you could absolutely prove all scheduled maintenance was done and only Mopar parts/oil/ etc were used. I did thinkl the tiny "Hemi" nameplate the K with the 2.6 had was neat, however!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby gardner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 am

My 93 year old mother has decided to give up driving. She has a 1989 Reliant K Car to sell. It has never spent a night out of the garage, the front seats have been covered since the day she bought it, nobody ever sat in the back seat, the trunk has never been used, there is not a ding or scratch anywhere on it. She drove it to church,( 6 blocks,) the bank,( 4 blocks) and the grocery store ( about a mile and a half). It has just turned 14,000 original miles. Yes that is correct just fourteen thousand original miles. She lives in the Philadelphia Pennsylvania area. Last winter we had lots of snow and she was stuck at home for weeks. I told her that when she would finally be able to get to the garage the car would be dead. Instead she said it started right up and was ready to go. It has been very reliable for her, she takes it regularly for checkups. She has never had any kind of problem with it. If anyone has an interest in buying it contact me at assetto@gmail.com. I will be happy to supply pictures. Thank you.
gardner

Postby Veronica » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Yes, but the 2.2 and 2.5L are supposed to be WONDERFUL. Wasn't the 2.6 a Mitsubishi motor?
I love my Aries which has a 2.5L.

BTW: Aries is the same thing as Reliant.

If the car has a 2.6L flip it and move on. If it has a 2.5L then you have a great car that is economical with plenty of get up and go.
Veronica

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries Station wagon, 1982 Dodge B250

Previous

Return to For Guests