Info Needed

Questions and comments from non-members

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: Info Needed

Postby 1of10K » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:48 am

If you have the 2.2 carb engine, this will help. My '81 sounded real loud when I got it, was able to simply take off the oil filler cap and put my finger on the cam, found it was grooved on the lobe ( It shouldn't be) and the cam followers (the parts that actually touch the cam and ride on the lobes) seemed loose with lots of play. I got a new cam from an auto parts warehouse and 2 end kits ( goes at each end of the cam to seal it and prevent oil leaks), got some cam followers from a Chrysler dealer, and had a garage put it all in. You can install all this yourself, if you are confident on your ability to tighten everything up correctly to spec and are extremely careful if you change the timing belt, don't move anything you don't have to!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby 88 aries » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 am

1of 10k, if i recall werent the early 2.2 known for cam problems, i read that in a chrysler book. but around 1984 they changed that.
88 aries

Postby Snake Oil Sam » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:09 am

The engine is a 2.2 as far as I know. It is back from the garage today. Still sputters a little but that might be old gas. I need to fill it up a couple of times and see how it runs on the highway. Still seems slow on hills but maybe that is just the way this car is. I don't feel so bad about driving it now that I know you folks actually have a K Car club.

But what the heck a car that was free with 36,200 miles on it isn't all that bad I guess. So what if it was made in 1983. I think that the cam issue can wait. We shall see. Anyone have any idea how much this little puppy is worth?
Snake Oil Sam

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:48 am

for a mint early K-car around 4,000-5,000 dollars, my 86 Reliant is worth 3,800 dollars. Remember Sam a K-car is not just a car, its a classic and a rare automobile these days.
88 aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Snake Oil Sam wrote:The engine is a 2.2 as far as I know. It is back from the garage today. Still sputters a little but that might be old gas. I need to fill it up a couple of times and see how it runs on the highway. Still seems slow on hills but maybe that is just the way this car is. I don't feel so bad about driving it now that I know you folks actually have a K Car club.

But what the heck a car that was free with 36,200 miles on it isn't all that bad I guess. So what if it was made in 1983. I think that the cam issue can wait. We shall see. Anyone have any idea how much this little puppy is worth?

What all did the mechanic do, since he did not replace the cam?? plugs, plug wires, distrib. cap, and rotor?

fill the tank up and run a bottle of gas treatment in it, could need a new fuel filter and air filter.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find that helps the sputter and lack of power.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby SnakeOilSam » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Well the 1983 K is now on the road having been tuned up. It seems to run good on the highway and is a pretty good ride at that. It seems to be getting about 27 miles per gallon. But on cold start it always seems to stall when put into gear. I guess that I have become spoiled with fuel injection.

I am surprised at the dollar value that you folks suggest for this old beast. You almost make me feel bad that I am using it as a beater. I almost feel that I should put it back in my mother’s garage and let it sit there some more.

The engine does make some tapping sound when at idle and the mechanic is certain that it is the cam. But other than that and the fact that the speedometer dances a little it is a nice ride.
SnakeOilSam

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey SnakeoilSam thats great!!! Glad to read it is doing better!!!

Thanks for letting us know!!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby SnakeOilSam » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:37 am

At first when I thought about driving this thing in public I wanted to hang my head in shame. But now that I found out about you nice folks and your K Car Club and that there are people out there that think that this is a cool car, it has completely changed my attitude.

Now I drive it and make sure that my arm is on the door with the window open. And if some little punk kid says anything I’ll just say, what’s wrong kid, haven’t you ever seen a classic car before.
SnakeOilSam

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:22 pm

That is not noise at idle, that is the Heartbeat of a KCar. Listen to some others. If my 2.6 didn't have same same clatter at idle that I have heard for the last 22 years I have had it, I would think something was wrong.

And don't worry about image, just tell the 'Kids' the car is older than they are and better looking.
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 pm

BTW Snakeoil , it's time to join the club and fill in your profile info, easy to do and the price is right, not often you can get this much information and have fun for free.
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

PreviousNext

Return to For Guests