How can I be a car spotter without getting in trouble.

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

How can I be a car spotter without getting in trouble.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:10 am

Taxiguy and some of our members have been very successful in taking photos of classic cars for FLICKR and for our enjoyment. I don't know what type of camera they use. I am guessing its a cellphone
camera so they can remain anonymous. What can I do? I have this bulky digital camera that makes it look obvious that I am taking a picture of a car. One guy did stop me and said I should ask permission first before taking pics. Also, I guess I should use a paint scrubber to hide the license plates. I only wanted to do this as other car clubs have a spotting thread where many people snap photos of stuff they find. Now,
lets not make a mountain out of a molehill, but how much would it cost for me to get a new cellphone cheap that takes photos? I guess for the meantime, I'll just have to lay low or choose my targets discreetly. A junkyard is not a problem.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: How can I be a car spotter without getting in trouble.

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:38 pm

I've got a nice "pocket-able" camera - cost me $70 or so at Walmart. I've never had any issue with taking shots of people's car. Basically if you on public property then its no problem you can take whatever photos you want. Anything seen from the road is fair game. Where you would have a problem is if you stepped on a garbage can to take a photo over a fence or something. Then I'd ask the owner. Cell phones take pretty lousy shots in my opinion even the best cell cameras are just ok. I'd go for a small camera. As for license plates I wouldn't bother blocking them out. I mean people wandering by can read them so I fail to see any benefit in wiping them for photos posted on the internet.
Arthur Dent
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron sedan

Postby 88 aries » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:16 pm

ya umm just stalk the car like i did, thats how i got the 86 Reliant and my 85 Aries.i just watched out for them for a long time, and then went something went wrong i bought them for dirt cheap
88 aries

Postby Chief » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:19 am

The average person is probably going to be flattered that you even want a photo of their car unless they're behind in their car notes. So if you're straight forward, I can't see how you would have any problems at all???
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby 1of10K » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Just be practical. I have always made sure that the cars are empty before taking any picture, you never know who is doing what and would not want to be photographed!

I started taking car pictures back in 1973, have never been chased away yet.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm

You're all right. And since its public property, I have nothing to worry about. The guy that questioned me looked very odd, but then his girlfriend, the caddy owner, was flattered.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Only had one odd moment when I was about the take a photo of a 70s Corolla I noticed the owned inside doing a drug dealer. I passed on the photo then ...
Arthur Dent
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron sedan

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.