An original, old age, unrestored 1961 Chevy Impala 4dr Sedan

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

An original, old age, unrestored 1961 Chevy Impala 4dr Sedan

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:08 pm

On my way to work, I was on the freeway. Suddenly, a smoking, very well worn, original, blue dusty 1961 Chevy Impala 4dr Sedan blows by. The car had a few dents and was not the least bit restored. I
feel it is remarkable that the car was intact and some of the blue paints still left after 48 years! The body was really not that bad and could easily be restored. Very nice find. I wonder if in 2036 one of us
will be on the freeway and see a totally unrestored 48 year old K-car blow by. I wonder what the interior of a K-car would like after being in the sun for 48 years. The other EXTREME example I saw earlier this year
was a smoking 1961 Dodge Lancer 4dr Sedan with rust holes the size of a fist, a crooked trunk, and original black Cali plate. To think a car could last THAT long.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: An original, old age, unrestored 1961 Chevy Impala 4dr Sedan

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:26 pm

That Chevy was probably garaged for years.They deteriorated the same or worse than everything else.Chrysler's unibody problems were always based on dipping the whole car in a water bath at least twice before any actual waterproof/non porous paint was applied.They thought they were doing a good thing to slow the rust bug,in actuality all those seams and nooks and crannies held the water and repelled any further dippings in actual primer coats or paint.
Had anyone known up front,maybe they could have demanded no dippings.....but,all the extra hand work would have cost a lot more.
88AriesLEwagon

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.